Newby in Texas

MrsYardbird

Chirping
Mar 13, 2018
Howdy!
My new found hobby (raising chickens) has led me to your forum seeking answers to everything from "is it a pullet or cockeral?" to "what is WRONG with that chicken"? I began last August with two chicks. Roman and Juliet, Japanese Buff Bantams, who are inseparable. She has laid one egg a day for about a month, until we culled 6 of the 7 roosters that grew out of our new hatchlings, from November's straight run. Now she's not laying at all. But that's not much of a problem...for now.

We also have what looks like a red of some sort, and I call it "Scrappy". It's just sad, but sweet. She/he is lowest in the pecking order, and when all the roosters were here, the poor thing was picked on terribly. I have tried to care for it, but if it turns out to be a rooster, not a hen, we may have to rehome him. I'm not cut out to cull chickens. (traumatized for a week)

My hope is to raise and care for hens to provide enough eggs for our small family, and if I have extra maybe sell a few, or bless my friends. I have many things to learn this first year of chickens, but I do love it. It's true they all have their own personality. I'm just not naming any more chicks until I am sure they are hens and I can keep them. That is just one of the many things I have learned so far.

I look forward to participating here.

G’Day from down under MrsYardbird :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! :frowGlad you joined the restless flock! BYC is an active site and the members here are ready to share useful infornation with you! If you are curious are ever wondering the breeds of your chickens just post in the breed and gender forum and the BYC members will answer it for you!

Back
Top Bottom