Newcomer to hatching silkies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Floridaladyhann, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Floridaladyhann

Floridaladyhann Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    I have only recently acquired a few silkies and one frizzle. The frizzle turned into a rooster. Now my little black Karina is sitting on (first one) and today on two eggs. What should I know? She just made a hollow in the ground and laid her egg(s) I am so excited, but need advice

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi, if your silkies are still quite young I would maybe wait a little while before letting them brood any eggs. If your hens have only just started laying the egg quality may not be very good to support a growing embryo. Usually if a hen is broody she will find somewhere secluded or hidden to lay her eggs ie the nest box. I would try to encourage her to start laying in the nest box and remove the eggs from the ground. Hope this helps and good lick with your birds :frow

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    This is just me, but...
    If she's wanting to sit, I'd let her give it a go. I put pullet eggs under my hens and in my incubator quite often. Sometimes they hatch, sometimes they don't, but you'll never know if you don't try!
    I just leave my hens wherever they plop themselves (unless its in they run). I do occasionally move a couple of them, that don't seem to know which nest to go back to. But, when my reliable broodies start sitting, I just give them the eggs I want them to hatch and leave them be.

Good luck!

4. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Pullet eggs are very tiny at first, so only let her sit in a more normal sized egg that would have enough room for a chick to develop properly! Usually after 2 weeks the eggs are a good size to incubate!

Best of luck!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  5. Floridaladyhann

Mar 4, 2014
    Thanks. We built two nest boxes, but no one even looks at them. Karina now is sitting on 3 eggs she made a hollow in the ground and is sitting. I am soo excited

6. Floridaladyhann

Mar 4, 2014
    My silkies are more than 6 months old. I hope the babies are able to develop. Do I have to separate mother and babies from the rest when and if the babies hatch?

7. Floridaladyhann

Mar 4, 2014
    My silkies have been laying for about 3-4 months but have not tried to sit before now. I am very hopeful

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'd definitely go for it then, those eggs should be fine for hatching :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by