Newcomer

Acez09

Hatching
Mar 2, 2017
Hi,

I don't have my babies yet, but seeing as I've never raised a chicken to an adult, I might need help. lol.

I did have two chickens when I was younger, but I went on vacation and my Uncle ate them.
D.gif

I'm only going to get two to start off with. The main reason I wanted chickens was to help my yard/soil. The more I read though, seems like my husband will greatly enjoy the eggs. (I don't eat eggs)

I work at home, so always here. My intention is to make a run that can attach to a homeade coop, so it can be mobile.

I have ants, and I've seen that chickens like to eat them.. do yours?

I've always wondered.. do the chickens automatically go in their coop in the evenings?

Greetings from Kansas, acez09, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! As a chicken newbie you might like to spend some time reading the awesome articles in the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center The LC will put you on the fast track to being a responsible chicken parent.
You can also locate your state thread in this link and stop by and say hello: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
On the ants, issue...I know when I cut firewood there are sometimes these giant black ants and my chickens love them! But I hear about things on BYC like fire ants and I think they can menace chickens. I typed 'ants' into the BYC search box and some old threads popped up if you'd like to research them: https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=ants
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

I'd recommend getting at least 3 chickens to start with. Chickens are flock animals and will be happier in a group. Plus, sometimes things happen and 1 bird can be lost and when that happens, you won't want 1 lonely chicken to deal with.

We had fire ants when I had my flock in FL and the girls wouldn't go anywhere close to them. Guess maybe it depends on the type of ant?

Best of luck to you!

Thanks! I have to have a permit where I live.. so many per lot size..(500sq ft per bird), so I think we can have up to six.
I didn't want a lonely chicken either! I'm sure with me at home all day, they'll never be lonely and wish I would go away! lol

I will test the ant theory when I get them. Let's hope they like em!

G’Day from down under Acez09
frow.gif
Welcome!

You have received some great advice and links so I will just add that I agree with getting 3 or more. Sadly we can lose one and finding company for a lonely hen on short notice can be tricky.

My gals do not eat ants of any kind.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom