Newcomer

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gusgoose, Jul 24, 2010.

1. gusgoose

gusgoose New Egg

Jul 24, 2010
    Co. Durham, UK
    Hi, I'm completely new to this chicken thing....I've got 5 bantam chicks just over a week old. When and how will I be able to tell what sex they are? I'm hoping for 3 hens to keep. Any info appreciated.

2. Yessur Ebob

Yessur Ebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    It depends somewhat on the breed post pictures if you can. [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Look for developing secondary sex charecteristics, and post pictures here if you are uncertain. Combs and wattles will develop on the cockerels sooner than on the pullets, and hackle (neck) and sickle (flank) feathers will become elongated and pointy. Oh yeah, and they will CROW! Just noticed your user name. When I was a kid, I had a pet goose-Yup, Gusgoose.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  4. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

[​IMG]

5. ellend

ellend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    cleveland, ohio
    Check the ENTIRE leg for spur bumps!

I talked a vet into providing anesthesia while the two of us (successfully) caponized a silkie roo, only to hear crowing from the pen when he wasn't in it! The other silkie (yep, two out of two) had spurs I didn't see, because they were on the UNDERSIDE of the leg!

No, caponizing does not stop crowing. It does decrease it, and decreases aggressiveness. It's not as easy as the old manuals make it sound!!!

6. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by