Newer chickens won't leave coop

Technicolor

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2021
Branson, MO
I got my newer chickens (5 Ameracauna pullets and 1 roo) as chicks and they are now 6 months old. They were put in a separate but attached coop/run for several weeks before I let them in with the older chickens. It has now been about one month or so and they still will not leave the coop on their own. I have brought them out to the run to hang out with them and give them some sun, but they hop up on roosting bars as the older girls run them away. They even attack the rooster, who is bigger than them, which I didn't realize would happen.

What did I do wrong and how can I fix it? Do I just need to give them more time? Sit and figure out which chickens are doing the bullying and separate them for a bit?

Yep, more time. As long as no bloodshed let them work it out. And it's good the hens are training your roo. They'll teach him to be nice.
Your pullets won't become part of the flock until their at least laying and even then it could take a while longer, so they'll stay a sub flock and avoid the hens.
The hens are bullying to keep their flock pecking order. You'll see some squabbles when the pullets fight for their spot and your roo is not part of that pecking order, he will take over the flock.

Back
Top Bottom