Newish and learning every day

Davisgamebirds

Chirping
May 3, 2023
Hi, my names chris, and we have a little homestead right now, with the end goal of getting off the current food supply as much as possible, and long term hoping to breed and release gamebirds on a substantially larger piece of land.
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm pretty new, I just moved to the country two years ago. I've been hatching birds like crazy for the last year and a half to raise funds, but just finally hatched what will be my personal chickens, ayam cemani.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
As of this morning, 54. I also have 30 bobwhites, 96 coturnix, 18 ringnecks, 30 guinnea give or take, 4 pekins, 9 brown chinese geese, 8 spanish black turkeys, 4 golden pheasants, 4 silver pheasants, and 3 cayuga mixes. Got about 200 eggs of various birds going in tonight too 😅😅😅
(3) What breeds do you have?
For chickens i have turkens, speckled sussex, easter eggers, americauna, ayam cemani, and some leghorns.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love hatching them, im hooked. Worse than any drug could have hit me. Im glad people buy birds cause id keep hatching even if they didnt.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Homesteading and making music.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We are trying to make a better life for our kids. Tired of the city, tired of the hustle and rush, tired of the corporate mindset running most of the modern world. If i could have a shack in the middle of alaska, and we could hack it, we would do it in a heartbeat.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
google brought me here too much as I learned, and I want to actively participate finally I guess 🤷‍♂️ I feel like I'm learning enough to actually bring something to the conversation worthwhile.

Attachments

• 20220813_220952.jpg
    20220813_220952.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20221206_170909.jpg
    20221206_170909.jpg
    575.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230301_173927.jpg
    20230301_173927.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230325_192256.jpg
    20230325_192256.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230503_211651.jpg
    20230503_211651.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230509_201404.jpg
    20230509_201404.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi, my names chris, and we have a little homestead right now, with the end goal of getting off the current food supply as much as possible, and long term hoping to breed and release gamebirds on a substantially larger piece of land.
I'm pretty new, I just moved to the country two years ago. I've been hatching birds like crazy for the last year and a half to raise funds, but just finally hatched what will be my personal chickens, ayam cemani.

As of this morning, 54. I also have 30 bobwhites, 96 coturnix, 18 ringnecks, 30 guinnea give or take, 4 pekins, 9 brown chinese geese, 8 spanish black turkeys, 4 golden pheasants, 4 silver pheasants, and 3 cayuga mixes. Got about 200 eggs of various birds going in tonight too 😅😅😅
For chickens i have turkens, speckled sussex, easter eggers, americauna, ayam cemani, and some leghorns.
I love hatching them, im hooked. Worse than any drug could have hit me. Im glad people buy birds cause id keep hatching even if they didnt.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We are trying to make a better life for our kids. Tired of the city, tired of the hustle and rush, tired of the corporate mindset running most of the modern world. If i could have a shack in the middle of alaska, and we could hack it, we would do it in a heartbeat.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
google brought me here too much as I learned, and I want to actively participate finally I guess 🤷‍♂️ I feel like I'm learning enough to actually bring something to the conversation worthwhile.
Simply amazing intro. It’s so nice to meet you. I am especially in love with that last photo… oh ❤️❤️❤️babies and goslings!! The cuteness is killing me.

Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom