Newish

duplessis3

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
I don't think I've ever posted an introduction here.

Anyway, I am a mom, wife, church administrator (I do NOT look anything like Dana Carvey in drag). I live in beautiful Sparks NV (Northern Nevada, nowhere near Vegas) where I have 8 chickens, 4 cats, 2 sons, 1 husband and 1 parakeet.

We bought 4 barred rock hens last year, our first chickens. At first we had them in a dog house but that was too small. One of our hens died, unfortunately, but the rest have been blessed with seemingly excellent health. We get an egg a day from all three, except when its cold, and then it slows down a bit. (Not much though.) We do not use any lighting in their coop.

We got 5 chicks on "free chick day" in March. One is a buff cochin, and another a barred rock hen. The other three we have NO idea. My oldest son is convinced that they are a rare Danish breed, but I suspect that is just because we have Danish heritage.

I love to read, do paper folding and cutting (scherenschnitte) cooking, movies. I'm getting ready to learn how to do home fermenting. I'm on a restricted diet which means I cook most things from scratch.

My oldest son just received Charter School Student of the Year for the whole state of Nevada, in part because he brings eggs for the school's free breakfast program. So we figure the hens are the Chickens of the Year of Nevada!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom