Newly acquired runner ducks with possible Wet Feather

Devonduck

Hatching
May 1, 2024
I acquired 2x 4 year old runner ducks yesterday and now realise they don't appear to have any oil on their feathers. They don't dry out after bathing and re constantly damp and their feathers are generally in poor condition.
I've read a number of articles about blocked oil glands and Wet Feather but obviously need to have them for a while to establish likely cause. They had been kept in quite a small and overpopulated run with no access to a pond - just a small tray of water - so I suspect the problem is a mixture of insufficient bathing and possibly poor diet.

They now have access to a pond and will be on layers pellets, mixed corn and have access to fresh vegetation so I'm hoping the situation will resolve itself. Just wondering if anybody has any tips to speed the process up?

I’d pass on the corn and go for extra protein that is what feathers are made of,many here on BYC supplement with cat food or dog food to add extra protein dried or fresh mealworms. Since I have a small dachshund I buy small bites Taste of the Wild for him and my flock go wild for it they love it better than mealworms. I use it as a-treat along with mealworms. My Muscovy were the ones here who got wet feather but I’ve not seen it in years since I give them extra protein. Once you Runners get good feed access to clean water to bathe in and have a good molt I bet they will have gorgeous feathers.

Back
Top Bottom