Newly hatch chick - Deformed Skull?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ccoomber, Sep 24, 2009.

1. ccoomber

ccoomber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    That looks like a vaulted skull. Are you sure its an araucana and not a silkie or other crested breed?

3. ccoomber

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    Came out of a cute blue egg from Arauncuna only coop (or so breeder told me). The other 2 have normal looking skulls! I personally think its deformed, it felt soft at first but feels harder now. Not sure. Time will tell i guess.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:That's what I was thinking too. You know, those Silkies are evil sneaky. Maybe a Silkie rooster snuck into the coop in the middle of the night.

5. ccoomber

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    i do beg your pardon. I have since googled vaulted skull, and you know what it does look just like a vaulted skull. Weird. I think i will contact the breeder and let her know. (though it does not have feathered feet or dark skin) thanks for advice guys, this forum is such a font of knowledge for us newbies!!!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  6. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    LOL, silkie breeders love seeing that little vaulted skull. Hopefully thats all it is. Let us know what other breeds she may have, even if she doesn't believe one of them snuck over there. Those silkies are definitely evil and sneaky. LOL.

7. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    It could be a Polish cross...

8. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:I thought the same thing when I saw that little head. Looks very similar to my polish chicks when they are still wet.

9. ccoomber

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    Here is the little guy now, all fluffed up. It'd be cool if he was part polish! Would be a fun looking chicken! Luckily these are pets only.

He's the pale one in front
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by