newly hatched babies less than 12 hours old

I wouldn't call myself an expert on raising chicks. I found this article particularly useful when I was new to it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens.47691/

I use paper towels over the shavings in my brooder for the first few days and I scatter chick starter on the towels to help them get the idea.

I also dip their beaks gently in the water.

If you're using a brooder plate you need to make sure it's low enough that they can touch it with their backs -- it's a contact heater, not a space heater. Many people recommend that you adjust it on a slant from lying-down height at the back to standing up height at the front.
x2

ATM I have a non-slip layer to prevent splayed legs. What actual bedding do you suggest?
I am not a pro but hatched out 3 batches this year, 2 were broody raised though) and have bought day old chicks a few times.

I use pine pellets. They are too big for chicks to eat, absorb moisture and smell, smell great, aren't dusty and made less of a mess than savings.

I tap each chicks beak to the water and food. At least one will figure it out and rest will follow suit

Back
Top Bottom