Newly hatched chick neck bent.. HELP

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
Ok. So this chick pipped yesterday on the wrong end. Last night it made the hole slightly bigger so the tip of it's beak was out. It looked maybe cross beak so I wasn't going to help it in case something was wrong. There was no change this morning before I went to work. While at work I peeked (I have a camera on my incubator) and it had broken the shell around its face so its face was out but you could tell it couldn't zip with how it was. So my daughter broke a bit more of the shell for it and put it back. I figured if it could make it that far it deserved a chance. I got home a bit later and it was partly out but not fully but everything was pretty dry so I helped it the rest of the way. Well it's neck is bent to one side, I tried to get pics but it was hard. To me it looks like maybe how it was positioned in the egg. Is there anything I can do to help it???

Posting pics of the hole it made for it's beak, a screenshot of how it "zipped" and a few of how it's neck is....

Attachments

• IMG_20230804_083931970.jpg
    IMG_20230804_083931970.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20230804_142002812.jpg
    IMG_20230804_142002812.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230804_142044565.jpg
    IMG_20230804_142044565.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230804_142059595.jpg
    IMG_20230804_142059595.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230804_142116684.jpg
    IMG_20230804_142116684.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20230804-120420.png
    Screenshot_20230804-120420.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
Looks like wry neck to me which is a lack of vitamin E from inside the shell. I'd supplement her with vitamin E and vitamin B12 for a boost. You can feed her an egg or normal chick feed. I'd also seperate her from the rest and make sure she has a full recovery. Her recovering may take a month or more but just give her a normal human vitamin E capsule daily. Hope this helps :)

Looks like wry neck to me which is a lack of vitamin E from inside the shell. I'd supplement her with vitamin E and vitamin B12 for a boost. You can feed her an egg or normal chick feed. I'd also seperate her from the rest and make sure she has a full recovery. Her recovering may take a month or more but just give her a normal human vitamin E capsule daily. Hope this helps :)
I didn't realize they can hatch with wry neck. She is still in the incubator, well I think he as it is a CCL and think boy colors.... Hmm will have to see if I have vit E. Right now it can't even really move around or figure out how to get its legs under itself so I find it on its side or back often. 😥

I didn't realize they can hatch with wry neck. She is still in the incubator, well I think he as it is a CCL and think boy colors.... Hmm will have to see if I have vit E. Right now it can't even really move around or figure out how to get its legs under itself so I find it on its side or back often. 😥
Yes chicks can develop wry neck from within the egg. You can find vitamin E supplements from anywhere. I'd also suggest putting a good flooring and puttint a cloth in corners so he can balance himself in the corners while staying warm. Make sure he isn't too warm or dehydrated.. hope this helps :)

I had one hatch with similar symptoms. My chick held its head straight up like almost to the point it was looking behind herself.and would lose balance and fall over backwards when it tried to walk I gave it vitamin E and selenium crushed up and watered down twice a day. I keep her separated in a little basket inside the brooder. Within 24 hours mine was completely normal.

The chicks are now 5 weeks old and I couldn’t pick out the one that had the trouble if I had too. Maybe mine just had a cramp or something not really wry neck. I don’t know but it had me worried for that day. Hopefully yours gets better soon.

Yes chicks can develop wry neck from within the egg. You can find vitamin E supplements from anywhere. I'd also suggest putting a good flooring and puttint a cloth in corners so he can balance himself in the corners while staying warm. Make sure he isn't too warm or dehydrated.. hope this helps :)
Where it just hatched a few hours ago it is in the incubator with shelf liner on the bottom. I have dividers for the eggs in there so it only has a small area but it won't stay propped in a corner it flops all over and can't get up. I will try to move it to the brooder but I don't use a heat lamp so have a MHP so hard to make a safe area where it can get heat and also move out of the heat .. ...

I had vit E and selenium in my chicken first aid kit. Phew

I had one hatch with similar symptoms. My chick held its head straight up like almost to the point it was looking behind herself.and would lose balance and fall over backwards when it tried to walk I gave it vitamin E and selenium crushed up and watered down twice a day. I keep her separated in a little basket inside the brooder. Within 24 hours mine was completely normal.

The chicks are now 5 weeks old and I couldn’t pick out the one that had the trouble if I had too. Maybe mine just had a cramp or something not really wry neck. I don’t know but it had me worried for that day. Hopefully yours gets better soon.
Mine has its head more down and to one side. So if on its belly it head is on the ground pushing him up and to the side so he tips over. Hopefully he fixes himself and it was how he was positioned on the egg so like a cramp

Back
Top Bottom