Newly hatched chick. NO EYES! **UPDATE 1-31-12** SHE LAYED!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the replys, and I am not going to cull if I can help it, fixing him a baby box in my room and going to pick 1 or 2 other hatchlings to keep with him so he isnt lonely, he definetly is sweet. Took him out and had him sitting by me and even when i was quiet you could see him looking around or listening and he would eventaully pinpoint me (without me talking) and he'd come over and squeeze up against me

Just moved another chick out that had her wing taken off by a dog, shes doing great so if he makes it grown I will just build them a lil handicap coop and small run for them two

Will add some pictures of him tonight
thumbsup.gif

What a lovely story - I had never seen this thread before, and just read it from end to end. What a lucky girl that hen is! And how wonderful that she turned out to be so happy when in other circumstances she may not have had the opportunity to even try at life!

smile.png

Sadly i come with a bad update, Dustie at 1 year 3 months and 10 days old passed away today... Sadly for the last few weeks it seems it has gotten much harder for her to find her food and water. I tried making it easier by adding extra bowls of food and water but today she went to chickie heaven.
hit.gif
I have lost many chickens/ducks since i've started with them over the last 5 years and this is the first time i've bawled my eyes out in the last 3! im happy she isnt suffering anymore though!

Hoping for the ripleys believe it or not 2012 book shows up soon. She will be it and its odd how she's gone so soon after its release!

R I P Lil' one.

I'm so sorry for the lost. I've lost a few chickens and I am heart broken. Big cyber hugs going your way.

Sadly i come with a bad update, Dustie at 1 year 3 months and 10 days old passed away today... Sadly for the last few weeks it seems it has gotten much harder for her to find her food and water. I tried making it easier by adding extra bowls of food and water but today she went to chickie heaven.
hit.gif
I have lost many chickens/ducks since i've started with them over the last 5 years and this is the first time i've bawled my eyes out in the last 3! im happy she isnt suffering anymore though!

Hoping for the ripleys believe it or not 2012 book shows up soon. She will be it and its odd how she's gone so soon after its release!

I just read this thread today for the first time...I really enjoyed reading about Dusty until I found out she died. I'm so so sorry and you deserve time to mourn. I will look for the the Ripley's 2012 book at the school I work at and look for her photo. I'll tell my student "I know that chicken"

CG

I'm so sorry she passed away :( She was a beautiful hen! You did a great job of taking care of her. A lot of people would have just cull there deformed chicks. This story is very inspiring.

She is proof and inspiration for anyone that is quick to cull.
I know it's a lot of work to keep these special ones alive.
But there are people willing and hoping to get a "special needs" baby like Dustie.
I hope we can use BYC to reach out to place these living treasures with people.

Back
Top Bottom