newly hatched chicks weakening and dying

cowfolks

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
My daughter (MaHen8622) has been hatching a variety of chicks in her new incubator. Today when she checked on them one of the newest 2 day old chicks was very weak and died in her hands. They are currently in my home in a small crate, about 18x24, with free access to water and feed and a feather duster. She uses cabinet liner for flooring that is cleaned daily. They eat chick starter that is medicated. It happened to be an egg from our Rhode Island Red mutt. She's had good fortune with our Bantaams and mail order Easter Egger. She also added a few assorted chicks from a local feed store within the last week. Will soon be time to increase the size of their pen but are not currently overcrowded. She's lost some of the eggs due to humidity issues. Please help with any suggestions.

Now she has another one that is really weak. She plans to move the older ones to another box so the newest will have less competition. What did you decide caused yours to die?

sad.png

This is sooo sad. We're on our first hatch and I wonder if we'll be up to it. Even if they make it outta the egg, they still may not make it, huh? Soooooo sad.

Back
Top Bottom