Newly hatched duckling can’t lift head

EastIndie

In the Brooder
May 18, 2018
I have an Australian spotted bantam duck hen sitting on eight eggs. On day 26 when the ducklings were supposed to hatch, I found one pipped egg. On day 27 there were no more pips so I decided to bring in the egg that had been pipped for 24 hours into the incubator where I proceeded to carefully peel away the shell (I have had to assist in many hatches and have a pretty good survival rate). The next morning on day 28 the duckling had absorbed all of the yolk but couldn’t push itself out so I carefully assisted in hatching it. I gave it electrolytes from a syringe but it seemed pretty weak. I monitored it throughout the day but it couldn’t lift it’s head or walk and just flipped onto it’s side when it tried. That evening the rest of the eggs had pipped. On the morning of day 29, today, there wasn’t much change. Also no more ducklings under the mother. It doesn’t have wry neck but I don’t know if the best thing to do is cull or wait it out?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 27
I had a roo who got attacked and ripped neck muscles. He could not lift his neck, and he could not for 3 weeks. I had to tube feed him, and monitor him constantly. He was up and running after a month. Point is, with his neck not working , the muscles may just be really weak. Keep updated!!

I’m also wondering why the eggs didn’t pip until day 29. All of my bantam eggs have hatched on day 26 not a day early or late. The mother duck has hatched eggs before without any trouble and is kept separate from the other ducks while she is brooding. Does anyone know why this would happen?

Back
Top Bottom