Newly hatched duckling cant walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by duckies4ever, Jul 16, 2016.

1. duckies4ever

duckies4ever Just Hatched

Jul 8, 2016
    Vernon Connecticut
    My duckling cant walk its legs are facing back and the feet are curled up please help[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. iloveduckies

iloveduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Im a newbie too ducks but if its feet are curled up like that then maybe you could try rubbing them gently. Im rooting for the lil guy:fl

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would begin B vitamin supplementation, perhaps make a small hammock so that the duckling can sit upright, with an opening so that the poop can drop to the floor and not build up against the duckling's body.

Gentle massage may help.

We cannot know how much of a recovery they can make, but generally ducklings can do much better than we imagine - as long as they get the best support, nutritionally, and in their environment.

If you can get B Complex vitamins, and add that to the drinking water, that's a good start. I would use the amount of niacin - B3 - as a guide. 150 mg niacin per gallon of water.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you open the toes and lay the foot flat with our any trouble if you can then make the shoes others have for their ducklings and they have worked. and def get the duckling on B complex like Amiga says.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by