Newly hatched quail questions

Mt. Baker Quail :

I have a quail that hatched this morning, and I was wondering how long does it take for it to eat, drink and walk?

Well, I'm not a Coturnix fella, but I'm idle and surfin'.............Heck, the Bobs I've hatched, once dry and fluffy ..... and transferred to the brooder, pretty much were eating within 20 minutes, and once Leroy found the water jug, so came Henry, Sussie, Katy, Jacob, Bubba, and all other 80 or so (over a couple of hours span of gettin' used to the new world), and took their first sip. From then on, it's keep the brooder temp comfty, and all's well. As far as walking, if he's hatched out "healty", he's walkin' real good within 12 hours, at least.​

Last edited:
I would say it should be eat'in...Have you tried sprinkling feed on the bottom of your brooder. the instinct to peck at stuff should take over. As JJ says a new dime on top of the feed to get them interested. Is this the way over due eggs?

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY.... A NICE SHINEY ON TOP OF THE FOOD TO ATTRACT INQUISITIVE LIL MINDS
smile.png

ALSO THESE ARE A LIL FUZZY HEAT SEEKERS.... USE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE... SET THE FOOD DIRECTLY UNDER YOUR HEAT LAMP AND MAKE IT NICE AND WARM AND THATS WHERE THEY WILL HANG OUT, THE FLIP SIDE, SINCE DROWNING HAPPENS SO EASILY AND IN A FLASH WITH THESE LIL GUYS SET YOUR WATER FONT IN THE COOLEST PLACE IN THE BROODER--- DONT WORRY THEY WILL INSTINCTIVELY SEEK OUT WATER AND DRINK, BUT HAVE TO "LEARN TO EAT" THEY WILL LEAVE THE HOT SPOT TO GET A DRINK THEN COME RIGHT BACK TO IT

Back
Top Bottom