Newly single guinea

Maelcrites

Hatching
Dec 8, 2020
I started off with 4 guinea fowl but 2 of them bullied the other 2 so bad that I gave them away. So then I had 2 left (1male and 1 female), they went everywhere together ❤. Yesterday something happened to the male, they were out in the yard it was around 2pm they were both there then about half hour later the male was gone. I didn't hear any squawking or anything, no feathers around on the ground or anything! My female went in her house and has been very quiet which is very odd! I looked everywhere calling my male guinea and nothing 😒 I have no idea what got him. I'm worried about my female, I haven't let her out today because I'm afraid that whatever got my Chester will be back! I've read how guinea grieve and I'm wondering if I should get another guinea or if I should see how she does on her own?

I started off with 4 guinea fowl but 2 of them bullied the other 2 so bad that I gave them away. So then I had 2 left (1male and 1 female), they went everywhere together ❤. Yesterday something happened to the male, they were out in the yard it was around 2pm they were both there then about half hour later the male was gone. I didn't hear any squawking or anything, no feathers around on the ground or anything! My female went in her house and has been very quiet which is very odd! I looked everywhere calling my male guinea and nothing 😒 I have no idea what got him. I'm worried about my female, I haven't let her out today because I'm afraid that whatever got my Chester will be back! I've read how guinea grieve and I'm wondering if I should get another guinea or if I should see how she does on her own?
My recommendation is to rehome her to someone that has a flock of guineas.

By starting with only 4, you prevented your guineas from having proper flock dynamics. Guineas are flock birds and do best in large groups. Yes they can be mean to each other but they understand this behavior.

My recommendation is to rehome her to someone that has a flock of guineas.

By starting with only 4, you prevented your guineas from having proper flock dynamics. Guineas are flock birds and do best in large groups. Yes they can be mean to each other but they understand this behavior.
I understand that they are flock birds but when I had the 2 they were content with each other. I am very attached to my guinea fowl so rehoming her would be really hard for me to do!

I understand that they are flock birds but when I had the 2 they were content with each other. I am very attached to my guinea fowl so rehoming her would be really hard for me to do!
Awww, so sad! :hit A bobcat grabbed one of our guinea hens as her mate was two feet away. Her mate was so sad and called for her for a long time.
I agree with R2elk that guineas do best in larger groups. If you don’t want to rehome your lone guineas, can you add more guineas in the spring?

Back
Top Bottom