News to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rackle9990, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Rackle9990

Rackle9990 New Egg

Aug 17, 2016
    Hello all. My husband and I have a small flock containing:Rhode Island Reds,Barred Rocks,Black Sexlinks,and a couple oddballs. We also have 2 Bantam roosters. We had a very nice Sexlink roosters that we lost to a raccoon a few months ago. In addition to him we lost my Batman hen,2 Buff Orphingtons,7 other hens and our guinea. It was a tough couple nights. We replenished our flock with 12 new chicks and then had a broader hatchback 3 half bantam chicks. I'm excited to see what they look like when they get older.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hell from Kansas, Rackle9990, and :welcome. Great to have you in our community. Enjoy your new flock and watch out for those pesky raccoons!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Raccoons are a true plague - horrible killers: can dig under, climb over, jump down from branches, reach through fencing and bite off any parts they can reac, plus the have opposable thumbs and can open almost any lock humans can.. Please check out the predator threads for ways to help prevent more attacks. Once, they are successful, they will keep coming back until they've massacred every bird available.

4. Rackle9990

Rackle9990 New Egg

Aug 17, 2016
    We set a live trap and caught a mom and 3 kits. Unfortunately it took the loss of the rooster, guinea and 11 hens first. We also had a Cayuga that suffered a broken hip during all the chaos. We just had to put her down a couple days ago. She was a sweet girl.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by