Next animal?

ok, this is just MY opinion... 

I would not get rabbits. Unless they are for meat. They are not very fun and honestly, I am probably going to be getting rid of mine. They live too long. I've had mine 7 years, so its not like I haven't tried. I am going to turn my hutch into a bantam breeding pens.

rabbits can be great fun.    they can be litter box trained like a cat, can learn multiple tricks and even go for walks on leash like a dog.   It really depends on what you put into them

x2. Our little bunny is a great guy. He's the reason I'll probably always have a rabbit in my life (and I was NOT a fan of rabbits before him). We put a lot of time and effort into molding his personality, and every second was worth it :)

Thank you everyone for the input, good or bad!

I feel like it depends because I can see how they can be boring to some people, kinda just hop around and after years I guess that could wear off, but that said sometimes they're great. I feel like it depends largely on the rabbit too because it's true that some aren't very social or active and may be boring while some are social or at the least active. My little guy was great but then I started losing interest but that's not on him or rabbits in general because I do that with a lot of pets. I took him outside though and he was fun for a while. I feel like house rabbits are more fun and they're social so unless you spend a lot of time with them they're probably more fun and happier with a friend. And with a friend they may be more interesting because you can observe them interacting with each other. Outside or inside but in a cage instead of an x pen or free roam of the house I feel like they would be more boring. As for the lifespan thing, yeah they definitely do live long if you're getting them as a casual pet and they're definitely not like most other small animals that only live a couple years but I think that's a good thing. I mean, to many people, especially the ones with the house rabbits, they're exactly like a cat or a dog (which can also be boring depending on the animal) and I've never heard anyone complaining that their dog or cat lived too long, unless they're arthritic or sick and in pain, so I look at it that way. I do understand the viewpoint though because if you didn't know or got them as a casual pet, especially living outside, it is a long commitment and some rabbits, just like many other animals, can be more laidback or boring to some people. For me it's not that they're boring it's just that it's a very big commitment with the attention and all that and, again, the lifespan. If they had a friend or lived outside it might be less but still. I do eventually want to try rabbits again though and when I do the lifespan will definitely be a plus but for right now, I don't think I'm in a place where I'm ready or want more rabbits so the lifespan is a problem

But yeah, right now I'm going to try to focus on the chickens again but then eventually (and hopefully very soon) I will get guinea pigs I think OR I will try to sneak mice or rats. Sneak because my parents HATE them and want them nowhere near the house so I'd either put them in the garage or a secret room when I build the outside pen. I don't know.

Or another cat. We've been tossing that idea up a lot lately

Guinea pigs can have a fairly long life span as well. My friend had then routinely live until 7 or older!

Both Guinea pigs and chinchillas definitely need heat though. Chinchillas are especially sensitive to cold and they also live a really long time. A friend of mine has a pair that is about 18 right now.

Guinea pigs can have a fairly long life span as well. My friend had then routinely live until 7 or older!

Both Guinea pigs and chinchillas definitely need heat though. Chinchillas are especially sensitive to cold and they also live a really long time. A friend of mine has a pair that is about 18 right now.

Wow, I had no idea they could live so long!! I'll have to think about that before I get them then as well as find a place for them inside.

And oh wow, that really is a long time! Wow!

Aw that's great!! :)
I used to want a hamster but my parents don't like them plus they need space and even if they didn't, I've heard other pets are more interactive. One day I'll get them though probably haha

I'm thinking the guinea pig idea is a great one so I might try that.

Hamster are nocturnal and awake in mornings and evenings. I am home mostly during evenings through mornings, so hamsters are for me!

Sigh. My mom is tough when it comes to pets. I am doing a little more research before I ask. I think I will ask once she gets back from lunch. I have saved up enough money, will be the only one caring for it, and it will be kept in my room. My mom can find a way to argue! My dad, on the other hand, kind of wants a hamster himself.

Sigh. My mom is tough when it comes to pets. I am doing a little more research before I ask. I think I will ask once she gets back from lunch. I have saved up enough money, will be the only one caring for it, and it will be kept in my room. My mom can find a way to argue! My dad, on the other hand, kind of wants a hamster himself.

Aw that stinks. :/ well hopefully you can convince her! Or maybe your dad will convince her! Haha research is good! Just don't get those tiny critter trail things they sell and you should be good. If hamsters don't work out perhaps try gerbils.

Back
Top Bottom