Next step to free ranging....

Quote:
I have done same. With American games I am not so worried about loss to predation. My dominiques are a different story. Eventually a predator (fox, coyote, dog) will call with potential of taking out entire flock. You may go for years before predator calls but in all likelihood it will happen eventually. For piece of mind I trained a dog to be guardian which greatly reduces worry. I also have allowed / promoted trees and briar patches to come up in various locations to provide cover / refuge from some predators including hawks. Challenge is making all look pretty.

Right now ours are in a secured, covered run. Next year I plan on fencing in a small field for them to range during the day. I just don't feel comfortable letting them free range all the time, we have too many predators and loose dogs around here, plus I work all day. It won't be as secure as our run and coop, but not as risky as free ranging, I think it will be a happy medium.

You just have to weigh the risks and benefits for yourself and decide what is right in your situation.

When we first moved our chicks to the coop we were anle to let them free range all over our yard. At first they all stayed very close to the coop. Over the next couple of months the made their way to the neighbOrs and eventually across the road! We only have 8 chickens... At that point I was glad my 3 year old hadn't learned to count them all:)
wink.png

My wonderful husband has built a wonderful little makeshift fence that is Plenty big enough for all of them. The problem now is that my father-n-law swears that there is an eagle that flies near the property. I have seen a large bird but I don't know what it is, exactly. Should I be really concerned? I still let them out to free-range the whole yard close to dusk... But should I build a cover for their fenced-in area?
hu.gif

Quote:
You all cant say its an early death sentence unless youve seen it first hand. Mine spend from 6am-11pm out in the open. Never lost a bird during those hours unless I needed dinner.

Its kind of like hawks - do I worry when they sit on my building or fence during the day? no - for some reason the hawks around here dont mess with full size birds(havent messed with my free ranging week olds either for that matter).

If the op wants to free range all day, try it. If an issue arrives change how your doing things.

Quote:
You all cant say its an early death sentence unless youve seen it first hand. Mine spend from 6am-11pm out in the open. Never lost a bird during those hours unless I needed dinner.

Its kind of like hawks - do I worry when they sit on my building or fence during the day? no - for some reason the hawks around here dont mess with full size birds(havent messed with my free ranging week olds either for that matter).

If the op wants to free range all day, try it. If an issue arrives change how your doing things.

I agree as well, free ranging is not automatic death sentence. Free ranging used to be standard method before development of nutritionally complete diets. At same time folks were wiser about about pest management as LGD's were standard and some losses were expected / tolerated.

Breed selection probably more important here than with any other rearing situation. I strongly suggest use of a dog.

Well today is the first day of free ranging all day.

I just opened the door while out feeding them this morning. It is a short day at work so I figured I might as well give it a try.

I am attached to my bird a bit, but understand that they are here for eggs and meat as well. There is a couple I would hate to lose and they are actually still penned up and will be until I get home from work.

The other night it was windy and the run door blew shut early. I thought every one had made it to bed. I was incorrect the next morning I went out to feed them and found a few of them roosting in various farm equipment and the top of the coop.... Whoops.

I will let you guys know how it goes when I get home.

I do have a dog but he is not "free range" when I am not home. He stays in the barn, I am not running the risk of losing him to a car or anything for the sake of the chickens.

Good Luck! I too would like to release mine
for a bit when I'm home, but the neighbor has
a dog that likes to kill cats, can't imagine what
she would do with a chicken, and it's MY responsibility
to take care of the girls and Max!

To the OP - as you can see, there are almost as many opinions on this issue as there are forum members. I don't think any of them are "wrong". We all have to come to a decision we can be comfortable with. My own opinion is this - because I'm generally able to be home at lunch time, I let my birds out at that time and this way they've mostly done their laying for the day (I don't like hide and seek with the eggs.
wink.png
). My birds then free range til dusk, no matter what my schedule is. Just before dusk they put themselves to bed and the auto door closes. This is what I am comfortable with - others would have different opinions, and that's ok. I prefer to know that my birds have an excellent quality of life for as long as they are alive. But again, I take issue with folks who believe that their way is THE way. You have to do what you feel is best for your situation and for your flock. Good luck!

I free ranged mine for 18 month before I had a problem, but it was a big one! Stray dogs came in and waited for my electric coop door to open. Took out my whole flock
hit.gif

I am still convinced that I did the right thing by letting them free range on my fenced two acres. But I would be lying if I said it wasn't devastating. I am starting new with babies and I plan on letting them free range when they get old enough. Needless to say no more electric door and we are installing a electric fence. In my opinion it comes down to what you are comfortable with and if you are willing to accept losses. A wildlife cam might help you make that decision see what is coming around when you are not home. Just my opinion.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom