NH Chicken coop design

shanefus

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
New to Raising chickens, I got 4 chicks last weekend and I'm in the presses of building a
Salt box coop that is 3hx3wx4L ID set up for NH winters.
It has a locked unheated attic for all the care for the Chickens mounting the controls and storage.
I did double walls with 1 1/2 foam board in all 6 sides, I did everything I could to keep it
Draft free, vented and above freezing in the winter. One full wall unscrews to get inside
for cleaning, one automatic poop door and that is it for potential drafts and heat loss. I put 2 nesting boxes
at the very top left because it's unused space, no potential for drafts, an area already heated and much more secure.
I put a 4" opening in the ceiling in each nesting box for ventilation and getting the eggs from the attic.
also in the attic is 2 3" clear fill tubes that go down into the coop filled with feeding and water, I put a recessed
ceiling light next to the water fill tube to prevent freezing. On the right wall I put in a double pane sealed
Plexiglas window 15"x 30" for solar heat and the perch is in front of the window.

From Right to left...
Window is 15" off floor
Perch is 9" away from window and 13" from floor.
Nesting box entrance is 10 1/2" from perch at 19" from floor.
Will this work?

Back
Top Bottom