NH pullet killed by rat >:(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by EasterEggersRULE, Nov 17, 2011.

1. EasterEggersRULE

EasterEggersRULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    I am SOOOOO angry right now [​IMG] i JUST got a beutiful NH pullet last night and i put her in a rabbit cage with 1inch bar spacing and set it outside for the night figuring she would be fine and i would put her in a quarentine pen in the morning well i walk out there and my birds are all super flighty wich is REALLY werid and i see the NH not moving and laying on the bottom of the cage i open the cage door and a RAT the size of our neighbors anoying dog runs out from under some hay and bolts. I just buried the hen and i am SO upset right now i really thought she would be ok for the night . Now give me your most horific rat killing methods THIS THING HAS GOT TO DIE !!!!!!

2. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    I'm so sorry [​IMG] I had no idea rats can kill a pullet. I would put down poison to kill it, they sell it in bait stations the chickens can't get to. I have also used the zapping trap with great success. Good luck gettting rid of the thing.

Trish

3. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    The problem with using poison is that a rat or mouse could eat it, die, and be pecked by a chicken which would then be poisoned. Poison also plays havoc with the eco-system. Whatever eats the rodent, and odds are that something will, will be poisoned and the cycle continues. I've heard people say that rats crawl away to die but that's definitely not always the case. They'll often head to the closest water source and die there. We found a dead rat about a foot away from our pop door last year. It was emaciated, clearly poisoned. We're in the country and have no idea how it happened. We're just thankful that our chickens didn't get to it.

I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. EasterEggersRULE

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    Quote:No poison we have two dogs who eat every thing and poison is pretty cruel and we have tons of vultures and i would be afraid of them getting the body first and eating it and dieing.
    So far im thinking about a zap trap.

5. mythkat

mythkat Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a tin tom cat live trap. Then I drown them and feed them to the chickens and ducks. Poetic Justice. [​IMG]

6. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    a group of rats ganged up on my hen and eat her back and chewed her leg but the farmer was checking his sheep as saw her squaking so he chased them off she lived for another 2 weeks then died, gosh i loved that hen i really did my favouraite chicken ever, niglet i called her she was an exbattery hen completley balled when i got her

7. EasterEggersRULE

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    Quote:I would do that but considering this rat is the size of our neighbors little yappy thing and must weigh at LEAST 1lb when i get that thing killed i am going to weigh it. I swear its the bigest rat i have EVER.

8. eastcoast chicken

eastcoast chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    I'm so sorry it makes me want to go RAT hunting. If it was that big how did it get in the cage?

9. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Quote:some one told me rats can fit through anything there head or nose can or something like that

10. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    catch it in a live trap, then drown it. this way your chickens can't be harmed by any painfull trap or poisen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by