NH with Leg Problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Northern Appalachian, Mar 15, 2018.

1. At about 2 weeks old, the bird had a leg injury. It was assumed to be a broken leg. It was not given any medical treatment for a week.

The bird was given to me at 3 weeks old and seemed to be somewhat healed. I wrapped the leg, swelling went down, she has a great appetite and gets around somewhat with the wings.

But now the leg in question won’t stay under her, so I’ve given her little leg cuffs a nice distance apart and she sits correctly now... but mobility has been more impaired since I’ve done this. Still eating and drinking and pooping. Any advice is appreciated. I did notice some muscular atrophy in the healed leg. She’s 3.5 weeks old now.

2. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. Update: It is most definitely perosis.

But I did walk in to her standing tonight. First time I ever saw her stand. Still a bit wobbly and clumsy. I put lots of vitamins in her water and food.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  4. Another Update: She started walking today, I put her back with the other chicks. Still stumbles a bit but leagues better than where she was.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully she will get along well enough to grow and thrive. Good luck.

Northern Appalachian likes this.
  6. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Glad to hear she's improving!

Northern Appalachian likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: