Niacin and Oyster Shell etc.

MysticalMom

Songster
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
Just curious....I read about all the supplements etc everyone gives their ducks. I have never given niacin to any of my ducks ( or ducklings) and never had a problem. Same with oyster shell. I offered it for awhile but most of them paid no attention to it at all. I dont give them vitamins, or anything extra. They are closed up at night, but have 266 acres to free range on if they want to approx 12/13 hours a day ( though they all stay on the approx 100 yard radius around the house:p) I feed them Blue Seal Grower-Cal Pellets twice a day (and the starter crumble is available at all times in the brooder pen for the babies). They get a few treats almost every day (usually peas, or watermelon or salad with tomatoes etc.. whatever I have handy) I don't give them anything else at all. They are healthy, they're eggs are beautiful, they're ducklings are always healthy and beautiful with no defects or problems. I have literally NEVER (knocking on wood) had an issue.

Have I just been lucky in the short few years I've been keeping ducks?

Last edited:
No.... I dont think its luck..

I think I was about 6 years old when we first got waterfowl on the farm- My mother never supplemented their feed- and since I started raising waterfowl myself a few years later - been around 30 years now ) I have never given any of mine specifically Niacin. I do give multivitamins in the water over winter- and the 3 disabled special needs ducks I have get vitamins more regularly. I have a duck that hatched thiamine deficient - a drake with dislocated legs and a blind duck so want to make sure they get extra- but no other adult bird has ever shown signs of a deficiency. On an occasion I will have a weak one hatch so give vitamins in the water for a week or so as well. I know that turkeys have even higher niacin requirements- and it is so very rare that I read anything about breeders of turkeys freaking out over what to supplement with - but people with ducks read it and all jump to the conclusion that it is 100 % necessary.

Ensuring they have a balanced diet is the key. Pellets- plenty of free ranging time and some fresh fruit and vegetables- and there should be no need to supplement. Thats just my opinion...

I thought there would be plenty of responses to your question.. We must just have good feed regimes and very naturally healthy ducks..
wink.png

Quote:
They are getting plenty of niacin and calcium from foraging natural sources of food. Most insects are a good source of niacin and dark green leafy plants are great for calcium!

Just like with people, supplements are only needed for ducks with unbalanced diets or genetic tendencies towards nutrient deficiencies.

Mine get Rooster Booster about once a month in winter... mainly for the probiotics... and then sporatically (like, when I can remember- LOL) in summer. They get good all around poultry feed with some sunflower seeds mixed in and they forage A LOT on about an acre eating bugs and who knows what all. I've never supplemented with niacine as ducklings - no leg problems. I have oyster shell out for the chickens and I have seen the ducks eat it. I also give the chickens any eggs that get cracked while gathering and I have one duck that runs right over to eat the shells up (so strange).

Back
Top Bottom