niacin deficent ducks?

DeannaMari

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
So we got some ducklings, six little adorable babes that love to play and drink water. they are petty active, from what I've read the normal of ducklings.
We also got two older ducklings from somebody, they are about 5 weeks old while mine aren't even two yet. The older ones are my parents while the younger ones are mine.
I have vitamins for mine and ordered niacin supplement that should be getting here today.
But my mom has showed concern for the older ducks. Both of them are pigeon toed and have a hard time walking they will trip over their own feet a lot because their feet are so turned in. and they don't want to take more steps than they need to before they lay down, where mine will waddle and run around their pen.
I was wondering if this pigeon toed is caused by niacin deficency? If we start giving them niacin now will it help? Would it hurt the chicks that they share a pen with?

The niacin will make their legs seem stronger. If they are niacin deficient and already pigeon toed then it won't fix the problem, it will prevent it getting worse, and give them strength in their legs to walk for longer but you should see them feeling better in a few days after giving them niacin.
Are you giving them niacin for their water? What feed are they on?

They are on flock builder, then I'd add in the recommended dosage to water (just got my book yesterday)

So, yesterday we put them outside with the chickens and in the pond and they've been running around and having a blast, also eating lots of greens. I can't help but think the exercise helps their little legs

We had an acquaintance ask us if we would take their 3 baby ducks. We said yes. But one of them has what looks like a niacin deficiency in it's legs. I am basing my thoughts off of the pictures on this site. I am going to get some niacin or brewers yeast to add to the water. I have seen on here where people use hair ties or other items to stabilize baby chicks legs. Is this the same for the baby ducks? Should I do this for my baby duck as well?
If stabilizing it's legs is the right thing to do. Can you tell me how?

Thanks

Last edited:
We had an acquaintance ask us if we would take their 3 baby ducks. We said yes. But one of them has what looks like a niacin deficiency in it's legs. I am basing my thoughts off of the pictures on this site. I am going to get some niacin or brewers yeast to add to the water. I have seen on here where people use hair ties or other items to stabilize baby chicks legs. Is this the same for the baby ducks? Should I do this for my baby duck as well?
If stabilizing it's legs is the right thing to do. Can you tell me how?

Thanks
welcome-byc.gif
do you think the duckling has spraddle legs? I would use the Plain niacin or brewers yeast and then read this link I'm giving you to determine if the duckling needs to be hobbled and this also shows you how to do it. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

hi
my 2 week old duckling seems to have the same condition althogh shes running around quite well.her diet is a mixture of cushed complete duck meal and wax worms but she refuses to eat any greens at all. how much brewers yeast do i add to her water please?

hi
my 2 week old duckling seems to have the same condition althogh shes running around quite well.her diet is a mixture of cushed complete duck meal and wax worms but she refuses to eat any greens at all. how much brewers yeast do i add to her water please?
Put the Brewers yeast on her feed 1 tab. to 1 cup of feed
welcome-byc.gif
you can try it in her water she just may not get as much of it as putting it on her feed.

Back
Top Bottom