Niacin Deficiencies in Goslings & Ducklings (growth & leg problems)

I have seen posts about leg problems in ducks but have never had any problems with my ducklings. I feed them a starter/grower, but never added any Niacin. But I have my ducklings outside during the day to graze from one week old on.... If it is true that ducks can get the Niacin from green plants, maybe thats' why I have avoided the leg problems?

We raised 10 ducklings without any problems, but then hatched 16 and kept 4. Of these we had 1 duckling with weak, trembling legs. Gave them brewer's yeast as suggested and sure enough after about a week we saw this duckling didn't have the legs issues any more. Now we have 3 ducklings we picked up from TSC. 1 was given to us because of wry neck. I've been giving poly-vi-sol without iron and brewer's yeast hoping it would help. We've had them for 1 week tomorrow, and so far no real change.

I see the recommended dose of niacin for ducklings (100-150 mg per gallon of water) but what is the recommended dose of Brewer's yeast?

My duckiings lack growth. Should I add a boiled egg each day (2 ducklings) ? Will it solve the niacin and protien problem? Should I give them the yellow yolk?

Hi, Shivakumar.

How much protein is in the feed you are giving them? How old are your ducklings?

Eggs are not a good source of niacin. Brewers yeast is good. Poultry vitamin mixes generally have niacin.

One is 4 - 5 months old and another one is 2 - 3 months old. The bigger one is almost fully featherd and the smaller one is molting now and got only the curly tail feathers. The smaller one seems like less than one month old.

They are free range in our compound and the feed is rice, which we use for ourselves and chickens. Its hard to get duck/chicken feeds and impossible for brewers yeast. Ducks are mostly raised along the villages along the rivers. Ducks are new to our place. The ducks are not sold by the proper breeders. Does the parent's inherent weekness may be the reason?

They are active and only the smaller one sometimes seems to dull. The larger one is also less in size for her age.

Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom