Niacin Deficiencies in Goslings & Ducklings (growth & leg problems)

Pics

Cottage Rose

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Mid west Michigan
Somebody PM'ed me recently with a question about a lame gosling so I thought this would be a good reminder for all of us.

I was reading in Dave Holderread's duck book regarding what he recommends for the all too common niacin deficiency seen in ducklings.
Niacin is a B-vitamin lacking in chick starters.
Lack of it can cause leg problems in ducklings and goslings.
Ducklings that have access to forage and insects rarely have any problems but then he went on to say that most of the niacin in plants is not available to ducklings so I'm not sure what the access to forage statement means. Maybe theres niacin in bugs? Some people sprinkle Brewers Yeast on the feed.
You can buy Niacin at any store that sells vitamins.

Symptoms: Stunted growth, lameness, bowed legs, swollen joints.

Treatment: Ducklings exhibiting niacin deficiencies and be CURED by giving them 100-150 mg. niacin (crush tablet) per gallon until they are 8 - 10 weeks old.
If not treated they can have permanently stunted growth and/or crippled.

Prevention...when using chick starter give supplemental Niacin at the above dosage from 0 - 10 weeks.

Hope this helps!
smile.png

Well it's just hmm... I'll be back in a minute with the name!

Edit:

It's DuMOR brand, CHICK Starter/Grower 20% protein, and yes, vitamin b12 is an ingredient!
smile.png

It's in the middle, so it's fairly high amounts, or else it'd be one of the last ingredients.

It has a picture of a chick and a duckling (a white silhouette of the two) on the bag, which is yellow with blue in the event you wanted to know. Never had problems feeding it to them straight out of the bag.

Last edited:
http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/vitamin-b1.htm

That
has the names of the vitamins next to the numbers(?). I didn't know that b12 was Cyanocobalamin (I probably didn't notice it when I looked on the bag)!

I'll have to look into this more.
lol.png

Read the ingredients list over and over...

But since it hasn't given me any problems in the past and the present, I think I'll stick to using that, unless something better comes on the market. Like formulated exactly for ducks and geese.

Last edited:
Thiamine (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), Pyridoxine (B6), Cyanocobalamin (B12), Folic acid (B9).

This is directly off of that page in case you don't want to look for yourself.
smile.png

" Vitamin B12 is not found in any plant food sources and is produced almost solely by bacteria, such as streptomyces griseus. Rich sources of B12 include liver, meat, egg yolk, poultry and milk. "

Thank you much for that info!
Now that you mentioned B-12, I think thats one that can't be utilized via the digestive tract and why it is recommended to take B-12 sublingually
(in humans of course), so I wonder if it works that way in waterfowl as well.
Maybe your birds have access to forage hence no problems??

Last edited:
Quote:
Niacin= vit B3=nicotinic acid.

BTW I think you mis-read or -understood Holderread's comment it isn't that chick starter is lacking in Niacin (chicks need it too) it is that waterfowl have problems in making use of the Niacin from grains (which is the common source of the vitamin, you may not even see it on the ingredient label unless it is added as a chemical ingredient) They don't have that problem with fresh forage!
It is a problem of bioavailability. The analysis may show good levels of Niacin but it isn't in a form that is available to ducklings. Brewer's yeast is a good safe source. Drugstore Niacin can cause liver damage if over dosed to the point that it is toxic. stick to the recommended dosage and don't think that more is better!

From the BYC Rules:

* Be friendly and courteous to all members at all times.

Thank you for understanding. ~Lisa~

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom