Niacin Deficiency in Waterfowl

Pics
I think that would be a great idea, if possible. In my case I was fermenting whole grains, and they weren't readily available. Also, my feed store didn't carry starter food particular to ducks. Not sure what @Ben10 's situation is, but you might need to do the extra vitamins right now to help them catch up and reverse the damage, then going forward with a duck food. Just my thoughts.

I think that would be a great idea, if possible. In my case I was fermenting whole grains, and they weren't readily available. Also, my feed store didn't carry starter food particular to ducks. Not sure what @Ben10 's situation is, but you might need to do the extra vitamins right now to help them catch up and reverse the damage, then going forward with a duck food.
I think that would be a great idea, if possible. In my case I was fermenting whole grains, and they weren't readily available. Also, my feed store didn't carry starter food particular to ducks. Not sure what @Ben10 's situation is, but you might need to do the extra vitamins right now to help them catch up and reverse the damage, then going forward with a duck food. Just my thoughts.
is 4 weeks old enough to feed all flock? I was told that’s only for 8 weeks and up

Oops - I meant it would be a good idea when they're the appropriate age! I can't remember what that is, but it seems like they're a little young to switch to all-flock. I really can't recommend the liquid vitamin B enough - it really helped my girl - but I know others use the yeast or niacin pills. Have you looked at the page that @IsaacO created at the top of the forum? It's everything you need to know about niacin deficiency.

Oh I didn't realize they are only 4 weeks old, I don't personally use All Flock so I am not sure what ages it is for. I've always used Mazuri starter feed for ducklings.
https://www.chewy.com/mazuri-starte...MejmB3mkj_sbzs_CPoCWDBttwxjowquAaAt_nEALw_wcB

Also @CoriM that thread you are mentioning by Isaac is the one that we are in right now 😅

On the first page of this thread Isaac said "Feed for Pekins ducks should contain at least 70mg of niacin per kilogram of feed" so I would say just look at the niacin content of your nutritional yeast @Ben10 and then go from there.

Oops - I meant it would be a good idea when they're the appropriate age! I can't remember what that is, but it seems like they're a little young to switch to all-flock. I really can't recommend the liquid vitamin B enough - it really helped my girl - but I know others use the yeast or niacin pills. Have you looked at the page that @IsaacO created at the top of the forum? It's everything you need to know about niacin deficiency.
Yep I’ve scanned that page many times. It’s just I’m kind of a special case using chick starter and was confused with his nutritional yeast requirements.

Oh I didn't realize they are only 4 weeks old, I don't personally use All Flock so I am not sure what ages it is for. I've always used Mazuri starter feed for ducklings.
https://www.chewy.com/mazuri-starte...MejmB3mkj_sbzs_CPoCWDBttwxjowquAaAt_nEALw_wcB

Also @CoriM that thread you are mentioning by Isaac is the one that we are in right now 😅

On the first page of this thread Isaac said "Feed for Pekins ducks should contain at least 70mg of niacin per kilogram of feed" so I would say just look at the niacin content of your nutritional yeast @Ben10 and then go from there.
Haha, I had no idea!! Thanks for pointing that out :D

So I started dosing complex b to one of my ducks, but he won’t eat any food or snack I coat in it. So I’ve been forced to do it orally. However I cannot for the life of me administer the complex, he simply will not sit still or bite at me or just keeps moving his head around. I’ve done a lot research on holding techniques and none of them have helped. Some guidance would be much appreciated😊.

So I started dosing complex b to one of my ducks, but he won’t eat any food or snack I coat in it. So I’ve been forced to do it orally. However I cannot for the life of me administer the complex, he simply will not sit still or bite at me or just keeps moving his head around. I’ve done a lot research on holding techniques and none of them have helped. Some guidance would be much appreciated😊.
I don't have any advice about oral med technique, but this happened with our Pekin. After a week or so he wouldn't take the complex on anything. I found this powder on Amazon and mixed it into his water. It seems to be pretty flavorless once it dissolves. https://www.amazon.com/Nutricost-Ni...6&sr=1-1-7bf78e84-8ef2-4f13-9926-bee5153e81cb

When giving oral meds I have had good luck with crouching down with the duck between my knees, back to me, so they can't back up. Then gently holding the beak and opening it, holding the tongue down and slowly putting the meds down the back side of the mouth. If it's more than 1 ml I usually just do 1 ml a squeeze to make sure she doesn't choke. Short nails are good so you don't scratch your duck.

When giving oral meds I have had good luck with crouching down with the duck between my knees, back to me, so they can't back up. Then gently holding the beak and opening it, holding the tongue down and slowly putting the meds down the back side of the mouth. If it's more than 1 ml I usually just do 1 ml a squeeze to make sure she doesn't choke. Short nails are good so you don't scratch your duck.
X2

Back
Top Bottom