Niacin Deficiency in Waterfowl

I am currently putting b complex n my ducklings water. They drink it just fine, but its easy to miss a duck unless its in all their water all day long. With 14 ducks its pretty difficult to dose each one every day but if i had just a few i would put it over a small portion of feed and dose each one individually.

Would the complex be suffice in adding to some treats for preventative measures? How often should I give it to them? Both pekins are only 4 weeks old.

Right now chick starter/grower. We also give them peas/mealworms as treats and allow them some time in the backyard to forage and swim.

Right now chick starter/grower. We also give them peas/mealworms as treats and allow them some time in the backyard to forage and swim.

If that's what you are feeding they would definitely need a source of niacin, the B complex should be sufficient, I would give them around 1ml each every few days over treats/feed. If you switch them to a feed intended for waterfowl, you wouldn't have to give the complex as often.

Awesome! I have them in the brooder with some chickens, so I have them all on the same food. I'll be sure to switch them to the proper feed once they go into their coop.

What breed? Pekins could probably benefit their entire lives something like Nutritional yeast sprinkled over their feed 2-3 times a week just for support of their legs. I have Runners Buffs and Muscovy and mine get Nutritional yeast 1X a week now that they are all adults.

Last edited:
Oh that's great to know! Right now they're on a duck specific formula, which I assume contains sufficient niacin for their age (6 weeks). When I mix them with my chickens and put them on an all-flock feed I will be sure to top it up with some nutritional yeast a few times a week!

Back
Top Bottom