Niacin Deficiency in Waterfowl

Pics
Yeah, and they may not specify the niacin content either, but to play it on the safe side I'd still add niacin to their feed.

I see your problem, I think I'd just sprinkle brewers yeast over their feed once a day until they are around 8-10 weeks, and you can by brewers/nutritional yeast off amazon or some grocery stores may have it.
Hi, I really appreciate all your help with this, especially since I am really new to ducks and chicks. Do I sprinkle this on their food daily or can I mix this in their entire feed ( I have a tube feeder that holds about 10 lbs of feed) accordingly to your specifications listed earlier? That way I wouldn't have to mix it in every day. Does it go bad over a few days? Thanks

Hi, I really appreciate all your help with this, especially since I am really new to ducks and chicks. Do I sprinkle this on their food daily or can I mix this in their entire feed ( I have a tube feeder that holds about 10 lbs of feed) accordingly to your specifications listed earlier? That way I wouldn't have to mix it in every day. Does it go bad over a few days? Thanks

If it'd be easier for you to mix it in with the feed, go ahead and do so, that'd be completely fine.:)

Excellent thread! A little addition to be aware of when choosing feed:

Oats have a lot less niacin in it than other grains.

Especially important for people (like me) who don't have access to feed specially made for ducks or waterfowl, and need to make due with other types of feed, with adjustments.

vitamininnhold korn niacin-2.jpg

Our ducks have been given electrolytes with niacin in their water since they were a week old. They are now 8 wks and doing really well. They have been outside during the day for the past 4 wks. My daughter often digs up tons of earthworms for them to eat and they forage. The past few weeks I've been giving them some comfrey that is growing in our yard since I heard it's full of niacin. My question is if they are spending all day foraging do they still need a niacin supplement?

Our ducks have been given electrolytes with niacin in their water since they were a week old. They are now 8 wks and doing really well. They have been outside during the day for the past 4 wks. My daughter often digs up tons of earthworms for them to eat and they forage. The past few weeks I've been giving them some comfrey that is growing in our yard since I heard it's full of niacin. My question is if they are spending all day foraging do they still need a niacin supplement?

Welcome to our community @Rouen2020 :frow

Good question, I'm falling a blank where I have heard this, so don't completely quote me on this, but I believe I have heard niacin availability in bugs/insects is fairly low, so the answer would be no. Maybe with lightweight/bantam breeds, but when you're getting up to Rouen's (I assume that's what you have) and Pekins, you really shouldn't totally rely on them feasting on bugs.

Are the ducks actually eating the Comfrey?

Welcome to our community @Rouen2020 :frow

Good question, I'm falling a blank where I have heard this, so don't completely quote me on this, but I believe I have heard niacin availability in bugs/insects is fairly low, so the answer would be no. Maybe with lightweight/bantam breeds, but when you're getting up to Rouen's (I assume that's what you have) and Pekins, you really shouldn't totally rely on them feasting on bugs.

Are the ducks actually eating the Comfrey?
Thanks for the welcome @Isaac 0 ! Yes, they do eat it. I actually rip it up and put it in their pool and they love it!
They are getting ready to go to their new home so I'm trying to figure out how to advise the new owners. Thanks.

I know comparing medical things with humans to ducks is a bit outrageous, but you may read this.

"Avoid using comfrey together with other herbal/health supplements that can also harm the liver. This includes androstenedione, bishop's weed, borage, chaparral, comfrey, DHEA, echinacea, garlic, germander, golden ragwort, hound's tongue, kava, licorice, niacin (vitamin B3), pennyroyal oil, red yeast, St. John's wort, and other"

https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/d04502a1

I think you would be better off telling the new owner's, to not feed the comfrey, and just provide one of the niacin supplements I listed in post 1#.

I know comparing medical things with humans to ducks is a bit outrageous, but you may read this.

"Avoid using comfrey together with other herbal/health supplements that can also harm the liver. This includes androstenedione, bishop's weed, borage, chaparral, comfrey, DHEA, echinacea, garlic, germander, golden ragwort, hound's tongue, kava, licorice, niacin (vitamin B3), pennyroyal oil, red yeast, St. John's wort, and other"

https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/d04502a1

I think you would be better off telling the new owner's, to not feed the comfrey, and just provide one of the niacin supplements I listed in post 1#.
Thanks! At what age do you stop supplementing niacin? I read on two different hatchery sites that 10 weeks is when to stop but I wasn't sure that counted toward Rouens. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom