Niacin Deficiency in Waterfowl

Pics
should i be giving my 1-2 month old ducks niacin supplement to prevention of any disorders down the road? I'm currently giving them duckling starter crumble with chick grit.

That depends.

What breed are your ducks, and what brand of feed are you feeding them?

I just wanted to say thanks again for all this info. After about 2 weeks of nutritional yeast, liquid niacin drops, and extra pool time, Zelda is looking much better and standing tall! ❤️
1B5E6969-383A-4EA2-A021-289396932E5D.jpeg

I so appreciate this thread. I thought I had read everything, and our duck starter has (supposedly) adequate Niacin, but I hadn't read anything about the higher requirements of Pekins. I noticed my male Pekin in our mixed flock (1.5 weeks) looking a little bow legged today and I feel sick. I am running to Tractor Supply now.

Just wanted to post a big thank you for the helpful information in this thread. My family is raising 6 Pekin ducklings this summer. A week or so into getting them, we noticed a few having trouble standing and walking. Because of this thread, we were able to quickly identify the problem and treat them. We gave a vitamin B supplement daily to those who were struggling and are adding brewer's yeast to everyone's food. Now at almost 6 weeks old, they all walk and stand beautifully and have no signs of bowed or weak legs. Thank you all for your help!
I'm so happy to read this... I am sick with anxiety about my little Pekins (less than two weeks) who I just noticed problems in. Seeing that yours recovered gives me such hope!!

I so appreciate this thread. I thought I had read everything, and our duck starter has (supposedly) adequate Niacin, but I hadn't read anything about the higher requirements of Pekins. I noticed my male Pekin in our mixed flock (1.5 weeks) looking a little bow legged today and I feel sick. I am running to Tractor Supply now.
I'm so happy to read this... I am sick with anxiety about my little Pekins (less than two weeks) who I just noticed problems in. Seeing that yours recovered gives me such hope!!

Yes! Most articles on niacin deficiencies in ducks fail to mention that Pekins/ and other heavyweight breeds require more niacin then medium to smaller weight breeds. It only makes sense that a tiny Call would require less niacin then a fast heavyweight Pekin. If people understood that, I believe there'd be a lot less niacin problems occurring these days.

Keep us updated!

Yes! Most articles on niacin deficiencies in ducks fail to mention that Pekins/ and other heavyweight breeds require more niacin then medium to smaller weight breeds. It only makes sense that a tiny Call would require less niacin then a fast heavyweight Pekin. If people understood that, I believe there'd be a lot less niacin problems occurring these days.

Keep us updated!
Thanks so much - do you think smashed up peas are ok for a nearly 2 week old - I was confused by the advice? I tried a mashed banana with the B complex first, but no interest. They do have chick grit. I'm also having a hard time separating the Pekins to give them treats because they screech for the others and won't eat... but all have nutritional yeast in their food now.

If our ducklings fall more into the "pet" category is there anything that would push you towards involving a vet? Thanks for all you do to help ducklings and their owners.

Thanks so much - do you think smashed up peas are ok for a nearly 2 week old - I was confused by the advice? I tried a mashed banana with the B complex first, but no interest. They do have chick grit. I'm also having a hard time separating the Pekins to give them treats because they screech for the others and won't eat... but all have nutritional yeast in their food now.

If our ducklings fall more into the "pet" category is there anything that would push you towards involving a vet? Thanks for all you do to help ducklings and their owners.

Smashed peas are great for duckling, and actually contain a fair amount of niacin, just have grit source available in a separate dish so the ducklings can digest, and absorb the treats better.

I'm coming to the conclusion that you have other ducklings, but there smaller breeds, so you're figuring they don't need the extra supplementation, therefore you're separating them during supplementation time, correct (?)

A little extra niacin won't hurt the others, so if the Pekins get ancy when you separate them, just leave them together when you offer the B complex laced-treats.

Smashed peas are great for duckling, and actually contain a fair amount of niacin, just have grit source available in a separate dish so the ducklings can digest, and absorb the treats better.

I'm coming to the conclusion that you have other ducklings, but there smaller breeds, so you're figuring they don't need the extra supplementation, therefore you're separating them during supplementation time, correct (?)

A little extra niacin won't hurt the others, so if the Pekins get ancy when you separate them, just leave them together when you offer the B complex laced-treats.
Yes that's right, we have 4 swedish girls who seem totally fine and clearly aren't growing as fast as the Pekins. Thanks for all your help, I will try to stop being so anxious now!

I think my Pekin had started to become niacin deficient. I bought actual duck food off of amazon & it helped SO much. He still isn’t back to 100, he probably never will be. But he doesn’t stand in one spot & sway/wobble like he’s drunk anymore.

Back
Top Bottom