Niacin deficiency not getting better

After letting her swim for a bit and putting an Epsom salt wrap on her leg, I think she has something either broken or dislocated in her foot. I'm calling the vet in the morning. We have a local vet that specializes in avians so I'm hoping they'll see her.

After letting her swim for a bit and putting an Epsom salt wrap on her leg, I think she has something either broken or dislocated in her foot. I'm calling the vet in the morning. We have a local vet that specializes in avians so I'm hoping they'll see her.
Bless her heart, but how nice to have a vet close by. Please let us know what they say.

I'm thinking that she probably has a slipped Achilles tendon. She had a vet appointment tomorrow morning, but I keep reading about ducks being put down because of slipped tendons so I'm really worried now. :(

I'm thinking that she probably has a slipped Achilles tendon. She had a vet appointment tomorrow morning, but I keep reading about ducks being put down because of slipped tendons so I'm really worried now.
sad.png
Have you been on this site? https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/ there is a section on treating leg problems. Hopefully there is help for your duckling.

You don't have to let the vet euthanize her. Please take a look at poultrypedia, and see what some of your options are. The sooner you work with her the better.

I read the post and I do think it's her Achilles. I saw where someone taped their duck's leg to help. Is there a special kind of tape I shoild use? I think I'm going to cancel the vet appointment because I don't want to pay all that money just for them to tell me she's a lost cause.

This is her foot. After moving it around and attempting to put a shoe on it (that failed miserably) I'm no longer thinking it's the Achilles. She has full range of motion but won't hold her foot open and I can't get a shoe to stay on. I'm wondering if it could still just be niacin since she has made quite a bit of improvement.

This is her foot. After moving it around and attempting to put a shoe on it (that failed miserably) I'm no longer thinking it's the Achilles. She has full range of motion but won't hold her foot open and I can't get a shoe to stay on. I'm wondering if it could still just be niacin since she has made quite a bit of improvement.
Do you have vet wrap? best stuff in the world because it sticks to itself. make the shoe then wrap with vet wrap. When wrapping just don't wrap too tight and cut of circulation. You can even use it for support of the leg. when one of my hens broke her leg I wrapped it with vet wrap and it healed just fine.keep up the niacin too.

Last edited:
I don't have vet wrap, but I have something very similar that sticks to itself. I finally got a shoe on her, but it came off as soon as I put her down. I'll get some vet wrap tomorrow and try it. Should I wrap it part way up her leg too?

Back
Top Bottom