niacin substitute? please help!

I wanted to ask also, how long does it take for you to be sure its niacin deficiency? How many days should you give it, before you are sure they should be over 'learning how to walk'?

I wanted to ask also, how long does it take for you to be sure its niacin deficiency? How many days should you give it, before you are sure they should be over 'learning how to walk'?

Not sure I understand the first question

The earliest signs of a B3 Deficiency is laying down frequently, reluctance to walk and do normal activities, weakness of the legs, slight bowedness of the legs, swollen hocks, you often will see pigeon-toed feet where the both of the bird's feet will point inwards, which makes it very hard to walk as it will trip over each foot each time it steps. If left a few weeks untreated, symptoms will worsen, the bird may not be able to walk on its feet, and may use its wings or hock instead to get around properly, the Bowedness/Pigeon-Toed of the legs may become so bad the bird will sit by the feed/water most of the day due to the extreme pain, hocks may become more swollen, and eventually symptoms may become irreversible or the bird may slowly waste away and die.

If your bird is showing any of these sytoms it would be reccomened you do not wait, treatment should be started imdeaitley, as from what it seems birds that have the deficency longer tend to take longer to treat.

Here are a few pictures of birds suffering from a niacin deficiency-

1588161024174.png

Last edited:
Not sure I understand the first question, If your duckling is looking bow-legged, Pigeon Toed, has swollen hocks, trouble walking, retarded growth, it most likely is deficient in B3. I would continue dosing even a few weeks after symptoms have diminished.

Right. And thank you very much.

But for a newborn duckling doesn't everything about it look like its having trouble walking, and look bow legged? Especially for those of us that haven't been doing it long.

I liked your list. And I was opening an honest question, not trying to stir the pot or anything.

Right. And thank you very much.

But for a newborn duckling doesn't everything about it look like its having trouble walking, and look bow legged? Especially for those of us that haven't been doing it long.

I liked your list. And I was opening an honest question, not trying to stir the pot or anything.

If you type up niacin deficient ducklings, you can find more pictures online how they look, other factors need to be taken into consideration as well, for instance, a duckling housed on plastic may not be able to grip the floor very well and may develop splayed legs, which can look a lot like a niacin deficient duckling, administering B3 to the duckling would not help very much.

If done correctly giving a few drops of B complex shouldn't hurt any, but it would be advised to consider other possible conditions the duckling may have so you can use the correct treatment.

Last edited:
Try green peas, sunflower seeds, leafy greens,tomatoes...ducks are omnivores, and very opportunistic in the wild. I've hear that animal proteins are a good source of niacin, maybe a bit of cooked chicken mixed with greens and some water? Are you also providing a pellet or crumble with minimal niacin? Most basic chicken feeds have a bit, but usually not enough for ducks. Check out this link too. Best of luck! https://www.thecapecoop.com/ducklings-niacin/

Also, sorta random, but if you have a cat and feed them dry cat food there is niacin in it (usually the vitamin B is added or included due to the animal proteins) mashing up some kibble might provide a bit of niacin too.

Back
Top Bottom