Niacin Supplement Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Erinmir, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Erinmir

Erinmir Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    West Alexander, PA
    So we have two Pekin ducklings we are brooding with 4 Easter Egger chicks. All are eating chick crumbles formulated for chickens. My understanding is that the ducklings need more niacin - no problem, we can supplement in water as people have suggested. I am curious though if this would hurt the chicks or not if I included it in the water for the little flock. I don't want the ducklings to suffer or the chicks and would like to keep them all together as long as possible.

Suggestions?

2. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I haven't done niacin supplements yet, but I know that ducks can get niacin from eating really fresh greens. Maybe start growing some wheat grass and cutting of 1/4 inch pieces to feed them so they can get the niacin naturally. If you do this, be sure to provide grit. The chicks would eat the wheat grass as well. Just cut it really small so they don't clog up the crop.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    It shouldn't hurt them. I'm adding niacin to my cornish rocks that I'm growing out. Chickens don't drink as much as ducks so they will not be getting as much niacin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by