Nice Chickens

Lilytoes

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
Milford
:)Why can't I find these nice chickens? My hen had 10 babies and she killed one of them before I could get to it. I took the other nine and hatched them myself. They never saw thier mom but I let the roo be around them. My point is I raised these chicks from the egg and still the only ones that would have anything to do with me are the roos. I can't have any more roos. Infact all I have left now are three hens. I've been trying to weed out the ones who where not very responsive to me. I have a friend that has a farm and has been nice enough to take the other chickens. But now the little girls are always acting scared of me. I raised them right out the egg handled them everyday played or talked to them. I even tried giving them meal worms ever time they would come over to hopefully make it so they liked to see me. But they still squawk and scream like I'm hurting them. The hen was some sort of bantum and the roo was a golden pheonix. What breed do I need to get to have friendlier birds. I wanted to have 4 nice little hens. I'm able and willing to put the time in but I getting discouraged. Please help maybe I'm asking to much.
sad.png

How old are the chicks now? Because most of my hens don't get lovey-dovey until their hormones kick in: usually after they start laying.

The roos are snuggly all the way up until crow-time.

Some breeds are generally friendlier than others and of course individuals within a breed will vary widely.

All of my birds will come to me expecting treats, but none of them love to be handled the way many dogs and cats do. I really do not expect the kind of cuddliness we get from mammals from birds. I find their curious personalities and antics interesting without needing to be overly emotional about them.

We have one Welsummer hen that the eldest boy can just scoop up and hold nearly anywhere in the pasture. We have several Speckled Sussex that get handled regularly because they get out and we sometimes have to catch them to put them back in (a little treat for bait and they are caught). These are relatively calm about being handled, but they do not relish it. THe others will sqwack like you are killing them when they are being handled. Just the way they are.

I hope others who have cuddly chickens will help you out.

I pick breeds first from this list with consideration of BYC member comments. Just remember your results will vary with the individuals you will have.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Hi Lily-

I would recommend EEs. Mine are super friendly. I have several different breeds, and I have to say that, every batch of chicks seems to have a few friendlies, and a few that are very timid. I raise them all the same too....not sure why...I guess it's their individual personalities......I also have a speckled sussex that is a very friendly gal.

Hi there they're 2 months and 20 days old. Stupid question what is a EE? I have a chance to get some speckled sussexs I might try them. But any advise on maybe a friendlier breed is very much appreciated. Thank you all for trying to help me.
smile.png

My Black Austrolorps are as sweet as can be. They coo at me all the time and let me pet them like they're cats. I have an EE and it's an obnoxious little snot. He/she is still young, but that little thing hates me something fierce. I would still like to try some more and like to think that this one just needs an attitude adjustment. He/she protects the Cornish it was raised with so that's why I keep it. Wyandottes are supposed to be really friendly too. Mine aren't the touchy-feely sort like the Austrolorps. Hens....they're moody.
hu.gif

I have 3 EEs (Easter Eggers) and 1 Marans that are about 10 weeks old now. They ran from me and squawked and generally acted terrified anytime I went into the coop - even though I got them at two days old. In the last few weeks they have started to come running when they see me - I take them fruit scraps from the kitchen most evenings and they seem to have finally figured out that I am not going to harm them. They are still very skittish and won't let me pick them up - but they no longer seem terrified and they are so funny to just sit and watch and listen to. I don't mind not being able to pick them up - in time they may let me but if not they are fine just as they are.

I also found that that the less I tried to pick them up the more willing they got to approach me.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom