1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nice Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by iluvpeeps, Dec 22, 2012.

1. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    I've had roosters before, but they've all been really mean. I am thinking about getting a rooster in a while but It has to be a nice one or else I have to give him away. I see articles on here and people say that their roosters never peck at people and aren't aggressive except to predators. I won't be getting one for a while if I ever do get one but I just want to know what to look for if the time comes. So, does anybody know of a breed that produces nice roosters? Thanks!

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

silkies are supposed to be good roosters

3. iluvpeeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    I've heard that silkies are good roosters too but can they good protectors?

4. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

that I'm not sure about. other good options are buff orpingtons, austrolorps, barred rocks, and black copper marans

5. Druantai

Druantai Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Uhm, I've had some good experiences with ameuricana roosters, but my hens of the same breed were not nice. I thusly switched over to austrolops and barred rocks, and I really prefer them. Curious without the skittish behavior.

The rooster was intelligent, skittish, and cowardly. He was nice though and he treated the ladies well.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Good roosters are often the result of breeding from good roosters. Much of what makes up their temperament is genetic, in my view. One issue with huge flock breeding, the way most hatcheries breed, is that no one is taking temperament into account and ill tempered roosters are allowed to mate unknown number of hens and thus? It gets passed on.

Second, there is an element in which this is also conditioning. From day one, we never, ever treat the young cockerels as pets. There's an old adage, make your hens your pets and leave your cockerels alone. Some truth in that perhaps. I want to largely ignore the young cockerels. I walk by them in an nonthreatening way. I'm just the guy who brings the feed and little else. I have a very large Red rooster and he is very, very good with his harem. He is a one calm, untroubled rooster. Just the kind I like.

If you are nervous, I'd highly suggest getting your rooster from someone known to you. Someone you can interview about his bloodline and ask questions about his sire.

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Don't make a pet of them, make them get out of your way. Don't pick them up and pet them. Don't feed them by hand. They should not be scared of you, but warry. I am on my third, and have not had a problem roo.

Be aware, they really don't become good roos to their hens, until they are nearly a year old. But then if you have a good one it is a pleasure.

Mrsk

8. iluvpeeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    Thanks.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I agree!! I never handle my roo.

10. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    I agree totally with Fred's hens. The human aggressive factor gets passed on. However I've tried both methods of never handling them and also hand feeding and handling frequently, and the main result has been none of them are human aggressive. The ones I've handled are easier to work with. I have American games and you can really only have one cock in the flock...but who with a small backyard flock needs more than one anyway? Besides being beautiful to look at, they make very good mates and constantly guard for predators. Best bet is to get a mature rooster from someone who has extra. You can even pick your color, such a wide range of beautiful birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by