Nice to meet y’all!

Tiffydawn777

Chirping
Oct 28, 2020
My family and I decided to get chickens several years ago here in Middle Tennessee, and our first flock family was 2 Blue Cochin hens, one glorious Black Cochin hen, 1 Blue Cochin rooster (we agreed not to get a rooster, but he had a limp and I was told he was going to get processed unless I wanted him), and 3 Serama hens. All of them were around 18 weeks old so I got to experience waiting for our fist eggs for several weeks. I added a White Leghorn hen and a Golden Comet hen a few weeks later and quickly realized how few eggs our family eats! We had eggs for a lifetime within weeks! Too bad you can’t keep them fresh forever😁. Roosty quickly became my favorite☺ He limped all over the place but kept up with everyone good enough and did a good job of protecting his flock. He got flystrike on his back and I thought we were going to lose him. He became very sick and I couldn’t just watch him die so I googled everything on how to treat him and of course BYC was very helpful. I was able to isolate him in my garage and after a couple weeks he was back out with his ladies and back to normal. We lost him a few days later while he was protecting his family from an unknown predator in the middle of the night🥺😭😢. Everyone else was safe and sound except one of the Blue Cochins. It was devastating. I had lost the White Leghorn a few weeks after I got her to a prolapsed vent. It was a sad loss but everything was still so new at that time I hadn’t really bonded as much. I learned a lot from BYC when I was trying to help my hen with the prolapse. I did everything I could, things I could have never imagined myself being able to do, but nothing worked and lost her. One of my Seramas died suddenly in the middle of the night without any indication why. I know this introduction seems like reasons not get chickens but it is the opposite. I grew to love these birds so much that I plucked fly larvae out of a wound for days! I pushed organs back into the tail end of a chicken I barely knew! I am a pretty squeamish person so this was not easy for me but I didn’t want to lose them. Over the years, I have lost all but one of my original flock family, one of the Blue Cochin hens, and she is going strong:) I also have 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Gold-Laced Wyandotte, both 1.5 years old, 2 Salmon Favorelles, both 7 mos. old, one has a scissor-beak and the other one has feathers that feel like glue?? Both are very small compared to their sisters that I rehomed. I was actually trying to get a rooster and they all ended up being hens🤩, 3 Light Brahmas, 5 mos. old- 2 roos and 1 hen, 2 Silver-Laced Wyandottes, 3 mos.old, and 2 Sapphire Splashes, also 3 mos. old.....I have a small coop I bought at TCS to lock them up at night and a bigger pen around the coop that they are able to go in and out of whenever they want during the daytime....I recently got 2 Pygmy goats and currently spending all of my free time trying to keep them out of the chicken pen without having to keep the chickens locked up all the time....We have been discussing building a new larger coop ourselves soon and hopefully will come up with a solution for keeping our goats and our chickens happy. I bought a Kebonnixs incubator this summer and am patiently waiting for my cockerels to become roosters so I can try it out! Thanks for having me! 🐣🐥🐓🥰

Last edited:
My family and I decided to get chickens several years ago and our first flock family was 2 Blue Cochin hens, one glorious Black Cochin hen, 1 Blue Cochin rooster (we agreed not to get a rooster, but he had a limp and I was told he was going to get processed unless I wanted him), and 3 Serama hens. All of them were around 18 weeks old so I got to experience waiting for our fist eggs for several weeks. I added a White Leghorn hen and a Golden Comet hen a few weeks later and quickly realized how few eggs our family eats! We had eggs for a lifetime within weeks! Too bad you can’t keep them fresh forever😁. Roosty quickly became my favorite☺ He limped all over the place but kept up with everyone good enough and did a good job of protecting his flock. He got flystrike on his back and I thought we were going to lose him. He became very sick and I couldn’t just watch him die so I googled everything on how to treat him and of course BYC was very helpful. I was able to isolate him in my garage and after a couple weeks he was back out with his ladies and back to normal. We lost him a few days later while he was protecting his family from an unknown predator in the middle of the night🥺😭😢. Everyone else was safe and sound except one of the Blue Cochins. It was devastating. I had lost the White Leghorn a few weeks after I got her to a prolapsed vent. It was a sad loss but everything was still so new at that time I hadn’t really bonded as much. I learned a lot from BYC when I was trying to help my hen with the prolapse. I did everything I could, things I could have never imagined myself being able to do, but nothing worked and lost her. One of my Seramas died suddenly in the middle of the night without any indication why. I know this introduction seems like reasons not get chickens but it is the opposite. I grew to love these birds so much that I plucked fly larvae out of a wound for days! I pushed organs back into the tail end of a chicken I barely knew! I am a pretty squeamish person so this was not easy for me but I didn’t want to lose them. Over the years, I have lost all but one of my original flock family, one of the Blue Cochin hens, and she is going strong:) I also have 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Gold-Laced Wyandotte, both 1.5 years old, 2 Salmon Favorelles, both 7 mos. old, one has a scissor-beak and the other one has feathers that feel like glue?? Both are very small compared to their sisters that I rehomed. I was actually trying to get a rooster and they all ended up being hens🤩, 3 Light Brahmas, 5 mos. old- 2 roos and 1 hen, 2 Silver-Laced Wyandottes, 3 mos.old, and 2 Sapphire Splashes, also 3 mos. old.....I have a small coop I bought at TCS to lock them up at night and a bigger pen around the coop that they are able to go in and out of whenever they want during the daytime....I recently got 2 Pygmy goats and currently spending all of my free time trying to keep them out of the chicken pen without having to keep the chickens locked up all the time....We have been discussing building a new larger coop ourselves soon and hopefully will come up with a solution for keeping our goats and our chickens happy. I bought a Kebonnixs incubator this summer and am patiently waiting for my cockerels to become roosters so I can try it out! Thanks for having me! 🐣🐥🐓🥰
hi i'm new are to?

Back
Top Bottom