Nice to meet you!

moreggs4u

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2018
Hello!
My husband built me a chicken coop for my birthday back in 2013. I started out with four red stars and named them Eeney, Meany, Miney, and Big Moe. I've never had chickens myself, so it was quite a learning experience. My girlfriend and I would sit outside for hours when we first got them, drinking wine and watching "chicken TV." They were so interesting!
We have five acres and I've always let my chickens free range, so over the years, I've lost quite a few to predators (bob cats, coyote, hawks and just recently, SNAKES!) We've had enough of losing our flock and we've build an 'aviary' (and I use that term loosely) to protect them while we're at work.
Right now, we have 7 hens, one rooster, and five 3-week old chicks (we had 6 chicks, but a snake got into their area and killed one last night. I am sooo over loosing chickens to predators!) In our flock, we have our rooster; a 3 year old Rhode Island Red named Annabelle (he hatched the night we went to the movies to see Annabelle, so the name just kinda stuck), a Blue Andalusian hen named Blue (we kill the namings, yes?), a black Chochin named Alice the Goon (she went broody and hatched 5 eggs - very sad story. The other chickens just had to get into her nest box and crushed 4 of the chicks. We felt so bad for her that we went to Tractor Supply and bought 5 Ameraucana chicks for her to love and moved them all into the greenhouse, away from the other adults. She's a great mama to them all!), 2 Ameraucana hens named Gazette and Pink, 2 Rhode Island Red and Blue Andalusian mixed hens that we hatched, named Ginger and MaryAnn, and one hen that we got at our local farmers market that I have no idea what she is, but we call her Black Face.
Our home also includes three Old English Mastiffs, Tootsie, Poppy and LugNut, all rescued and fostered and adopted through #Mastiff Rescue of Florida. We also have 4 Peacocks and 4 Peahens, all just slightly domesticated through generous feeding. They are beautiful birds, but they are messy and destructive of all my landscaping.
That is basically it. I have lurked on BackYardChickens for years. I appreciate all the insight that I get from this website. It answers a lot of my questions and gives me hope! I'm looking forward to many more years of learning.

G'Day from down under moreeggs4u :frowWelcome!

Chick Sympathy.jpg

I am pleased you delurked and hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. This one may be of particular interest to you:
Topic of the Week - Keeping the Flock Safe from Predators

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock and/or other critters, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You may also be interested in this link:

Back
Top Bottom