nigerian dwarf goat not wanting to stay inside at night

rvr350

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2019
I have few babies dwarf goats that we got over the summer, they love sleeping on hay under our bedroom window. We tried to lock them in a dog house, but they managed to escape and go back to their usual spot. It is a little sheltered, but not from the wind. Now summer is almost over, and rain is more prevalent, i can't get them to stay in the dog house aka barn. What should i do?

Goats should go inside in bad weather if the housing is adequate, and large enough. You should than lock them inside if you wish them to stay inside. Mine sleep outside many nights until it becomes really cold, below freezing.

Can you share pictures of your set up?

My goats never want to go inside their barn, so I lead them into their area with treats (I don't know what your goats like, but mine like mannapro goat treats and cracked corn) and them I have a door that I put a latch on. The barn is in the darkness, so they eventually fall asleep!

Hope this helps!

Is the shelter large enough with enough ventilation? If it is too small and/or stuffy they won't want to go in there. That said, my goats would sleep outside when the weather was nice but would go in the barn when it was windy or rainy.

I have few babies dwarf goats that we got over the summer, they love sleeping on hay under our bedroom window. We tried to lock them in a dog house, but they managed to escape and go back to their usual spot. It is a little sheltered, but not from the wind. Now summer is almost over, and rain is more prevalent, i can't get them to stay in the dog house aka barn. What should i do?
Do you have pictures of your goats? My sister is raising this breed!!

Goats don't like getting wet so they should go in there by themselves. Pile up the hay for bedding and be sure it stays dry and draft free. They'll know when to go in. Mine never use the loafing shed unless it is raining.

Try feeding them where you want them to sleep. My Nigerian dwarf has no issue going into her stall when I call her since that’s where she eats.

Back
Top Bottom