Nigerian Dwarf WILL NOT GET PREGNANT

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
So I have had my Nigerian Dwarf Doe for over two years now. She lives with a Saanen doe, and a Nubian doe, both now a year and a half old. They pick on her a little, but we feed her separate. I got Lyla the nigerian when she was a year and a half. That was in August. Then, starting In November, I began breeding her. Her heat cycle was a little irregular, but then it evened out. She is very obvious when in heat. Discharge, interest in buck rag, noisy, oddly wanting attention, lots of tail flagging. I bring her to a local farm which has 5 healthy, fertile Nigerian Dwarf bucks. Every time I bring her she is in standing heat, she runs to the buck and lets him mount her multiple times. After that, she either has a short cycle 5 days later or has a regular cycle 21 days later (although this most recent time, there were only 14 days in between breeding and heat). I bred her a total of 6 times last year, and then it was too late, the bucks were out of rut. No luck. This year, I began breeding her in November. We have now bred her 4 times, every time she was in standing heat. The last breeding we gave her a shot of GnRH immediately before breeding. But, 14 days later, she is flagging that tail like crazy. Should i give up? I am exhausted and fed up with breeding her over and over again. However, if she doesn't get bred, I have to sell her. I don't want to feed a goat who isn't fulfilling her purpose. I just feel so bummed seeing all these people breed their goats once and get triplets or twins almost effortlessly. I want baby goats SO bad!! (The other goats Lyla lives with are not mine, just for clarification, but they all live on my property)

One time (the time after the shot) she was there for a whole day, from 8-5, but the rest of the times she was just there enough time to be bred 2 times. Please tell me how I can accomplish this!!

One time (the time after the shot) she was there for a whole day, from 8-5, but the rest of the times she was just there enough time to be bred 2 times. Please tell me how I can accomplish this!!

For some reason your doe may not be fertile. It happens. When I was starting out and did not have my own buck, I would travel several hours to a dairy, and pick out the buck I wanted. He would breed her once or maybe twice and five months later I had babies.

Just a comment. If the doe is in heat and then returns to heat five days later, the first heat is not fertile but the second usually is. I would see those five day heats occasionally when the does first started to cycle at the start of the breeding season. When I had my dairy, does like yours didn't stay around.

For some reason your doe may not be fertile. It happens. When I was starting out and did not have my own buck, I would travel several hours to a dairy, and pick out the buck I wanted. He would breed her once or maybe twice and five months later I had babies.

Just a comment. If the doe is in heat and then returns to heat five days later, the first heat is not fertile but the second usually is. I would see those five day heats occasionally when the does first started to cycle at the start of the breeding season. When I had my dairy, does like yours didn't stay around.
That might be why the guy I get my buck from likes the two week minimum. That way if the first heat Isn't fertile he will still be there for the second. Not sure. I just went with what he said because he's been breeding and raising goats for over 20 years.

How old is your doe and has she had babies before? They can be harder to breed as they get older, if they have not kidded before. Has this doe been injured or damaged in some way before? Are you breeding her to the same buck every time?

Back
Top Bottom