Nigerian Dwarf WILL NOT GET PREGNANT

For some reason your doe may not be fertile. It happens. When I was starting out and did not have my own buck, I would travel several hours to a dairy, and pick out the buck I wanted. He would breed her once or maybe twice and five months later I had babies.

Just a comment. If the doe is in heat and then returns to heat five days later, the first heat is not fertile but the second usually is. I would see those five day heats occasionally when the does first started to cycle at the start of the breeding season. When I had my dairy, does like yours didn't stay around.

I agree with this post 100%.
If you have tried to breed her that many times she probably won’t get pregnant. I worked at a goat dairy for a few years and this happened to a young doe (coincidentally a Nigerian Dwarf too) there. It was sad as she was a nice doe and destined to be a great little milker. But she had to be sold to a pet home. The owner tried for 2 breeding seasons to breed her, with multiple bucks, and even penned her separate for 2 months with a buck and nothing.

Maybe try and find a pregnant doe for sale?

Thanks for everyone's input! I have bred her to 3 different bucks over the two years, and all of them are proven. The only Nigerian Dwarf bucks anywhere near where i live belong to this one farm, and she does not have room to board goats any longer than a day. Lyla was born in April of 2017. Never been injured or sick. And I breed her when she goes into heat 5 days after being bred.

Thanks for everyone's input! I have bred her to 3 different bucks over the two years, and all of them are proven. The only Nigerian Dwarf bucks anywhere near where i live belong to this one farm, and she does not have room to board goats any longer than a day. Lyla was born in April of 2017. Never been injured or sick. And I breed her when she goes into heat 5 days after being bred.
That has to be frustrating, I am sorry. Problems with fertility are sometimes hard to pinpoint. Most goat breeders would let this doe go, instead of finding out the problem. I've worked with goats quite a bit, and spend more time than I should wondering about these kinds of things sometimes. It sounds like you've done most everything you can practically and financially speaking to get this doe bred.

If you have the money to spend and have access to the technology, you might try A.I. as a last ditch effort. I know most goat folks wouldn't go that far but interestingly, I have seen one doe before that didn't take to being bred by a buck, but was able to be serviced via A.I. something about damage to her cervix preventing natural breeding. In your case though, I can't help but wonder about a hormonal imbalance. It may be possible to try to regulate the hormone imbalance and put her into heat using a CIDR and proper protocol but again, it is a last ditch effort thing most goat owners wont bother with. It sounds like you tried to do something close with the hormone injection you used, but they generally need 2 injections a certain time apart to induce heat that way. My thinking is, if she is going into heat there may be an imbalance of something else.

I can fully understand your heartache with having to let her go. I love my goats to pieces and could not let them go..but I’m not in you situation. Is it not possible to buy your own buck? We did, and it was so much easier that way..and worked with both does, and they will kid in Febuary. Perhaps when looking for your next doe, you can find one that already kidded. Im so sorry you’ll have to say goodbye to your girl :(

Good question!! There is a link between polled goats and hermaphroditism
If she was a hermaphrodite you would know it by now. For one thing, she would not be displaying normal heats. For another, she would look and act like a buck. Only worse. In a hermaphrodite, the vulva is abnormal and the teats are undersized. This last is what you can see in a kid.

Back
Top Bottom