night light time yet?

What works best for me is to figure out how much additional light my flock needs to obtain the 14 hours of daylight needed for the best laying results, then... I add that time to the morning sun-up time, and then set the timer to go off an hour after sun-up.

In reality the light is only on for a period of time less than 14 hours real time, creating the light time needed.

As the days get even shorter, you may need to reset your on time to keep up with the shorter days....

bigzio

does the light provide any heat? and/or do the hens need heat? it gets down to 10 degrees or so in winter here (ct)..i have red stars (pretty sure that is what they are thanks to the help here at the forum)

Last edited:
I have my timer set from 5am to 8pm, then I put a photo cell on so the light goes off when there is enough light in the coop and on again in the evening when it gets dark. I am only using a couple of 15 watt bulbs so they don't put out much heat.

I have seen many of these threads lately on adding light. I must warn you that too much light and not letting your chickens go to roost naturally can cause them to burn out sooner than nature intended and will end the egg production earlier in life.

A 4 watt light is more than enough light to add to a large coop.

You want to add the light in the early morning NOT in the evening. The chickens need to go to roost normally and follow the natural cycle of the sun going down.

Use a light timer and add the light for it to come on aound 4 am and let the light stay on until just after sun up.

I have some threads dealing with adding light. Here is one with the light timer.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18717

If this is your first year with hens laying you probably won't know any difference with light changes. As long as you hens are getting out and exposed to natural sunlight they should lay just fine.

Last winter I did not use the light and did not have any change from my first year production pullets.

Proceed with caution.

Do not flood your hen house with lights. You chickens will get confused. They won't behave naturally as influenced by the sun and the seasons. Older hens NEED the down of slowed winter laying to be in the best shape for spring laying and chicks. When chickens cannot go to roost naturally with the sun, when they are exposed to light through the night, they are living under stressful conditions.

MissPrissy you are so smart! Thanks for the great info, I guess I will be changing my girls light. I love this place, I always learn something new!
caf.gif

Please keep in mind, that in cold locations like here in WI, it is sometimes necessary to place a heat lamp in the coop to keep the flock from getting frozen waddles and combs....this will begin the onset of lay even if you wanted the flock to rest from laying.

During the molt, the hens cycle is rejuvinating because they don't lay while in molt. Usually that is enough rest. If you avoid using light until you need the additional heat, then that is a longer rest that should be sufficient enough even for older hens like my 4 year old girls that are in perfect health.

bigzio

what temp would require a heat lamp?

i will definitely let them rest until it is necessary to use a light for heat

are there battery powered heat lamps?

thanxxxxxxxxxxx

Quote:
I've never seen a battery powered one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist or someone (maybe you) could create one.
They say using the red bulbs in the heat lamps is less stressful.

Severe temps in the below zero range with winds could result with frost-bite to the comb and waddles.

It depends alot on how secure your coop is from the weather.

Ventilation without drafts, is key to creating a healthy environment for the flock in the winter. The specific temp, sometimes doesn't matter, if your insulated well vented coop keeps the flock warm, dry and free from drafts.

I think that if your weather ( depending on where you live ) is warm enough to keep water from freezing inside the coop on a daily basis, then you really have no concern for the use of a heat lamp, in my opinion.

bigzio

I use a red heat lamp in the colder months, and during the warmer months a regular incandesant 25 watt red light bulb , that you can get at Wal-Mart or any pet store that deal with lizzards. In the winter I just leave it on 24/7 and if they want to go into the coop they will. They have access to free range 24/7, but they stay in the coop at night on their roosts. They go into the coop every night like clockwork before it gets dark. I don't bother with a timer during the cooler months as I leave the light on. During the summer months the light goes on a timer, on in the eve and off in the morn. My girls lay fine. They slack off laying when they molt.

I use a brooder lamp that clamps.

4942_31xbxwxcyrl_sl110_.jpg

I don't think there is a right or wrong way, just different ways. That's what make us all so unique.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom