Night light to warm freezing coop? I need help!

ChickChick0811

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Ok so tonight its in the single digits...bbbrrrrrrrr. This is my first winter with chickens and I'm not sure what I am doing is right.
idunno.gif
I wanted to make sure the coop was warm so I wouldn't wake up to frozen chickens.
hit.gif
I know the threat of a heat lamp could lead to fried chicken
ep.gif
and I really don't want that. SO I took the heat lamp and replaced it with a regular bulb (I know sounds silly, but I figured they could at least get a little warmth off of it). Well watching the coop from the window of my warm cozy house it looks as if my chickens are having a house party!
celebrate.gif
I'm sure the light is throwing them off and they can't sleep, but also if I can see them dancing away I'm sure every raccoon, coyote and possum can as well. With that said...should I turn off the light or leave it on....EEEKKK HELP!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
The heat that a regular bulb gives off is minimal. I'd shut it off. I live in MN where in a normal winter (this winter has NOT been normal, but I'm certainly not complaning!!
big_smile.png
) it gets into the 20's -30's below zero. My chickens do not get additional heat. They're in a draft-free coop and manage very well. I think yours will be fine. Something to think about: Do you have wild birds where you live? Do they have a coop with extra heat? How do you suppose they survive?

A single light bulb will only make a difference in a VERY small coop, but if you still want to use it , and don't want the light, put it inside a large clay flowerpot and you will get the heat but not the light

Quote:
I agree with most of the above comment. I'm not sure supplemental heat is required for adult chickens. Comb frostbite is the biggest worry. If your birds are in a reasonably sound coop they should be fine. An old saying is "the shoddiest coop produces the healthiest chickens".

After writing this post last night I went and turned it off after thinking the same thing....wild birds survive....lol I am now only leaving the light on until about 7 pm just because of the egg production. I need to stop worrying about them...guess I just love them tooooo much!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom