Night Time Freezing

Is there anything I should do for my chickens at night, considering that it is 25 degrees fahrenheit at night time?
Chickens will do just fine at temps much, much lower than 25 provided they have a dry and draft free coop with ventilation above where they roost for airflow. I have 8 to 10 week olds outdoors right now with overnight temps in the single digits. Last New Years Day I had 6 adult hens happily scratching around my yard when it was -11. Hope that helps!

Your birds are fine if housed properly. They can handle much colder temperatures than that. Make sure you have good ventilation, and wide roosts.

How old and what breed are your birds? Where are you located (@aart). How are they housed?

Once 10 weeks of age my standard-chickens in good normal feather can be outside with essentially no protection down to around 10 F. Lower temperatures best endured with more protection. Adult more tolerant.

The chickens need to be in good weight as in not thin. When day length gets really short I work on getting birds to pack in calories before going to roost. Small birds are prone to exhausting crop fill well before dawn and then have to use fat reserves to stay warm. That can be problematic is goes over many nights in succession.

I just put some 6 week old chickens into the Juvenile coop a few days ago... then we are getting unseasonably cold temps tonight... 24 degrees. Had to buy more Brooder buibs and break out an old lamp for that coop. We do not get this cold until January usually. If I am going to keep hatching chicks through winter I think I am going to need a make a new larger brooder and keep them under heat lamps until 10 weeks of age until February.

Where are you located (@aart).
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2018-11-28_7-22-48.png

Dry draft free coop with lots of ventilation. I actually worry less about drafts and more about ventilation. I have plenty even leave coop door open. If it makes you feel better I have a flock of half feathered naked neck 'turkens' and they're just fine and we get plenty of -10 to -20 below zero F a lot during winter. They still go out and play in the snow.

Back
Top Bottom