nightshade berries

thanks, but it still doesn't tell me if the chickens can eat the ripened red berries safely......

I would not worry too much about what your chickens eat that they find growing in their environment. All birds to include chickens commonly consume naturally occurring strychnine without harm.

What's one mans' poison is another mans' tonic and visa versa.

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry that I can't provide a more definite answer.

Last edited:
thanks, anybody else have any thoughts on this before I go picking the berries and giving them to my girls.....

Thanks everyone...guess I won't give them to the girls...I'll stick to grapes, which they love!!!!!

Apparently wild birds do eat nightshade berries, because the darned stuff springs up everywhere! I pull the plants up wherever I find them for disposal, and would never feed them to my birds! Mary

Apparently wild birds do eat nightshade berries, because the darned stuff springs up everywhere!  I pull the plants up wherever I find them for disposal, and would never feed them to my birds!  Mary

For many of us, pulling up all the plants is not practical. Even mowing does not prevent setting of fruit in my pasture. Therefore birds will have access the berries, especially in winter as other greens become less palatable.

Back
Top Bottom