nightshade berries

I agree, I'll never eliminate them. Mowing doesn't kill the plant. They pull out easily, and breaking the stem off and laying the parts on the grass kills the plant. If maturing berries, I do put them in the trash. It has definitely helped here. Any disturbed/ dug ground here sprouts a bumper crop, so the seeds must live a very long time! Mary

I am late to this thread, but I came looking for info after we extended our pasture area for the ladies. There was a patch of nightshade, and they went absolutely CRAZY over them! I didn't even realize them there until I saw the "eating party" and got curious about what they were up to.

I removed the plants, but the birds seem to be no worse for wear. They were eating the green and the red ones.

I bet they will not eat them again, at least not in large amounts. Mine, after eating several berries, seem to look a little dull the next day as if they doo not feel well. After first binging on the berries, they will largely leave the plants alone.

Nightshade berries are black when ripe, not red, so maybe its not Nightshade. Some varieties of Nightshade are toxic and some are not. If it is Nightshade, and the blossoms are WHITE rather than lavender, the berries are edible and non-toxic. I have these growing all around my property, and both I and my chickens eat the berries without any problems.

Not sure if this is nightshade? I'm getting ready to cut it off the fence around their run and don't want them eating the berries if poisonous.

I don't know what that is, but it doesn't look like Nightshade. You can see what Nightshade looks like by going to Google, click on "Images", and type "Nightshade" in the search box.

Yep I looked it up so I guess it's not nightshade. It was just a weed that popped up and is now about 7 feet tall with those black purple berries lol. Made for good shade around their run though!
I don't know what that is, but it doesn't look like Nightshade. You can see what Nightshade looks like by going to Google, click on "Images", and type "Nightshade" in the search box.

Back
Top Bottom