nine week old hens , feeding question

mamas farm

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
South,Texas
I have twenty three nine week old hens and I was wondering how much laying pellets to feed them . I feed them twice a day and I feed them ful o pep laying pellets. Do i need to mix it with hen scratch?

At 9 weeks of age, they should NOT be fed layer pellets. There is too much calcium in layer pellets for a chick. They need to be on a good grower ration that I would free feed at all times along with fresh water. The calcium in layer pellets can and has caused kidney failure. They do not need to be on layer feed until between 18 and 20 weeks old.

thank you I have raised chickens in the past but this year I have to keep them in a pen and I have always fed them chick starter intell they were four and a half months old then I went to hen scratch. I had let them run free but now they are being killed one by one by neighbors dogs and wild animals . so this year I have them in a pen and I have no idea how much feed to feed them and what . I have eleven adult hens and five roosters along with twenty three nine week old hens . I have been reading up on the internet but I am getting mixed information it only made since not to feed them laying pellets intell they were laying eggs but, I had read diffrent so I desided to join and find out from proffesionals . Can you help me please I need some feed tomorrow?

My chickens are pretty much contained to runs...large ones, but runs nonetheless. I use poultry feeders and keep them filled at all times with either Flock raiser, layer feed or chick starter depending on how old they are. Do you already have these chicks in with your older birds? If so, you could feed flock raiser to all and add a free choice dish of oyster shell for your older hens. These little guys shouldn't be fed layer until 18 - 20 weeks old. Your older birds will do fine on the flock raiser with the oyster shell on the side. I also feed fresh fruits and vegies when I can and they just love it when I pull grass for them :) When I'm able to watch them, they get to free range in our fenced yard. After several hawk attacks, they don't have the luxury of this all the time like they used to. I hope that I have answered your questions. Please let me know if there is something else that I can help you with :)

and by the way....

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom