Nipping charging silkie

emilythestrange

Chirping
Oct 22, 2020
Midlands UK
I got two silkies a week ago
One of them is being nasty. Not like anything I’ve seen from a chicken before!
I thought it must be scared coming from a concrete enclosure to now a large back garden and obviously having a rooster...
It runs and pecks at my dogs aggressively so they cry... if the dogs come within 3-5 foot of the chicken
It also peck at me when it sees my hand and not in a nice I want treats way. Definitely in a nasty way so you have to think to be wary of it!
Its not gelled with the group yet and is a loner. It only comes close to the other silkies at night. It’s also pecked my child....

I have 4 hens and 2 roosters. (1 rooster might as well be a hen) 2 of the older hens are newly laying

I got two silkies a week ago
One of them is being nasty. Not like anything I’ve seen from a chicken before!
I thought it must be scared coming from a concrete enclosure to now a large back garden and obviously having a rooster...
It runs and pecks at my dogs aggressively so they cry... if the dogs come within 3-5 foot of the chicken
It also peck at me when it sees my hand and not in a nice I want treats way. Definitely in a nasty way so you have to think to be wary of it!
Its not gelled with the group yet and is a loner. It only comes close to the other silkies at night. It’s also pecked my child....

I have 4 hens and 2 roosters. (1 rooster might as well be a hen) 2 of the older hens are newly laying
Peck it back using your fingers when it peck a you, if that does not work, press them down until they submit to you. Don’t hurt her, just do it hard enough so she knows your boss! Are you SURE it’s a hen?

Peck it back using your fingers when it peck a you, if that does not work, press them down until they submit to you. Don’t hurt her, just do it hard enough so she knows your boss! Are you SURE it’s a hen?
I know that’s what I thought that it could be a cockrel 😞 it’s from a hatchery where they kept many other female bantams and theres was eggs on the floor and they sell a lot of good quality poultry. The most professional place I’ve been so fingers crossed this one didn’t slip the net!!

Back
Top Bottom