nipple waterer bucket 'deformed'

calamityfarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 20, 2012
Connecticut
Hi All,
Nipple watering has been wonderful, but I have a quick question. The 5 gallon bucket deforms due to the weight of the water. I want to keep a lid on it to keep it clean, and to prevent something falling in but it is getting increasingly difficult to do. Are those of you who use this system using a cross brace inside the bucket to prevent this from happening? What type of wood are you using?
Thanks,
Ann

I am using a 2 gal bucket but it still "sags". My bucket has a 9" opening so I put a 9" round cake pan inside the top of the bucket and the lip on the cake pan catches on the top edge of the bucket to make a lid. (The pan itself sits down into the bucket with the bottom of the pan down inside.) This keeps the bucket circular as the cake pan keeps it stretched open.

(Hope that makes sense...if not I could do a photo.)

Since yours is a 5 gal bucket, I wonder if one of these gamma seals would work. (You can look at them here but they are available at a lot of places and you may find for less.) http://beprepared.com/category.asp?...g&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=FoodStorage0305

The nice thing about these is that the outer ring snaps into place and the inner circle SCREWS OFF to open so you don't have to pry the lid up to get it open to put the water in.

I think I'd try one of those if I were using a 5 gal. If it doesn't work for the waterer, you'd still have a great lid for storing feed or other items in a 5 gal pail
smile.png

Sounds to me you need to look for a better bucket. I have a grey bucket from lowes that comes from the painting supply isle and I fill it up all the way with no deforming. Keep in mind this is a brand new bucket that has never had anything put in it before. Here is what mine looks like.

bottom of bucket

This is how I hang it from the rafters of my coop.

I also found this video that shows how they work. Please note that I have NOT USED ONE so I can't recommend one way or the other. Just looks like a good possibility!

Quote: Devvy
You need to keep in mind that the paint buckets are not rated for food grade. That means that they are allowed to have certain chemical make-up that could cause health problems. (I work for a paint and chemical company...) I'm very careful to purchase or use buckets that are rated for food-grade because of this.

eta: Some paint buckets may be food grade...you'd have to check the ones in your store to be sure. Most don't do the food grade as they're less expensive for paing/chemical purposes.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I'm using brand new Home Depot buckets. I would think they are the same as Lowes in quality but maybe not. Re: food grade. That is something to think about. I'll check into that.

why dont you just put some 2x4's on the legs of that saw horse and sit your bucket on them. i built a stand for my buckets. never understand why everyone wants to hang from the the handle.

Quote:
goodpost.gif
Good idea..!

(I feel like I won the "duh" award here...
roll.png
)

But...the only problem I see with that is that it isn't as easy to adjust the height as the birds grow which is perhaps the point of hanging?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom