Nipple waterer for three girls?

Wizbop

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Here's what I have. . . three chickens, one small tractor coop. They usually free range in the backyard.
Here's what I want. . . a waterer system that won't grow funk and that's easy to fill/replace.
What should I get? I don't want it to be expensive.
What we have now is a gizmo I bought at Southern States that holds an upside down Ball jar. Currently the dog drinks out of it (it also grows algae like crazy despite my cleaning efforts). The chickens, on the other hand, drink out of the dog bowl.
lol.png
Go figure. Now what do I do?
I've read lots of threads and am a little overwhelmed. Any help?

I have absolutely no help for you on what kind of waterer - I just wanted to thank you for the post. Made me laugh out loud.

My dog and chickens all like to share the dog bowl - sometimes at the same time, which is pretty funny as the dog is a 100 lb German Shepherd.

I put apple cider vinegar in the red plastic bottomed waterers in small amounts, which seems to help slow the slime down some - but I'm in Maine, so it isn't a huge issue anyway.

Quote:
So glad I could entertain you. My household is full of that recently. The dog also likes to eat the chicken feed. Our pooch is only about 40 pounds and he's been good to the girls so far. He licked one of them in the rear the other day and her feet cleared the ground. Then she flapped her wings at him like, "hey, get off me".
D.gif

I have twelve chicks and I love the nipple waterers! I have one in the coop (my chicks are 8 weeks tomorrow) with 2 nipples right now. But i am planning on making another inside and one for the run when that is done!

Order your nipple waterers from Neil Grassbaugh on this sight. The cost for nipples and shipping is the best. He can also help with any questions also.

Last edited:
For 3 hens you could get by with one nipple installed on a gallon container. We have 7 hens and use 2 - 1 gallon waterers -- each with a single nipple. 2 gallons of water lasts for about 1.5 weeks for our 7 girls!

Back
Top Bottom